Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

would you trust a "timing belt changed" sticker?

Taranaki

Reaction score
Members Ride
Calais
My sister bought an Astra. Under the bonnet is a sticker (from a company I never heard of) claiming timing belt was changed at 54177 km. For this engine, change is due at 90,000 km. The older Z18XE was 60,000 km.
Curious why it would be done early. Unless something else crapped out, and they decided to do it while the engine bay was dismantled.
Unfortunately no service history was supplied with car to confirm what has been done to it.

strgas

GRA = REAL HP
Reaction score
Members Ride
MERC W124 / toys WB tonner WB Panelvan project
some car makers will recommend distance 60.000kms and time 24 months to replace belt which ever occurs first , or yes the belt was done when the engine was apart for what ever reason . a look at the belt may show an aftermarket belt fitted or prove the condition of the fitted belt .

Commo Baba

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Acclaim Wagon.
...maybe they were just used to doing the old ones at 60 K and didn't bother to notice it changed to 90K.

I've only ever had one car with timing belt stickers on and I believed those cos it was in my family for a long time.

If they put a sticker on it, didn't do the work and then the engine went bang cos of a busted belt they'd be in the serious poo.

TigaVTSS57

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS M6
Maybe water pump leaked and thought it was a good time to replace belt? Saves doing the same job twice.

lmoengnr

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 Maloo R8, MY12 Redline ute, Magnum 224
Maybe water pump leaked and thought it was a good time to replace belt? Saves doing the same job twice.

Z18XE is 90,000kms, Z18XER is 150,000kms belt replacement. Neither engine requires timing belt removal to replace a water pump.
I put the 'belt replacement' sticker in the service book.