Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wow, didn't even know this type of thing happened.

Azp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VR
My brother went out to the road today and found a huge pool of petrol under his car. I jacked it up and found that some kents had stolen the fuel pump last night. They did pretty well to do this undetected, in darkness, with half a tank of petrol billowing out (it's the internal pump). A passing motorist throwing a cig butt out the window would have put the whole car up in flames. It's weird because the amount of petrol that they could have caught would have been worth more than a second hand pump.

So anything I need to know or be cautious of when putting a new pump in it? Found four bolts on the road, I can see where they go but I also found a clip and don't know where that's supposed to go. I just use a paper gasket yeah?

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
Unfortunately, yes these things do happen. (I've heard of cat converters in the past - mainly 4x4's)

They probably took the whole sender unit along with the pump (the long arm with the float) The gasket is a cork type.

cracker

Reaction score
your not serious, this is a joke isnt it?

Azp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VR
I'm completely serious. Almost couldn't believe it, it's not even a bad part of town and it would have almost been easier for them to take the whole car. So the sender unit is attached to the fuel pump? I don't know how it all works. They cut the whole wiring loom where it comes out of the boot above the diff.

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
I'm completely serious. Almost couldn't believe it, it's not even a bad part of town and it would have almost been easier for them to take the whole car. So the sender unit is attached to the fuel pump? I don't know how it all works. They cut the whole wiring loom where it comes out of the boot above the diff.

yeah, the fuel pump is attached to the end of the sender, like the pic in the ebay ad VL COMMODORE INTERNAL FUEL PUMP (VL CALAIS,VL TURBO) - eBay, Other Car Parts, Accessories, Car Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 14-Apr-09 13:05:46 AEST)

you'll probably need to go to the wreckers to get all the bits and pieces

Chirpstr

A new project attack
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina M5, VP M5
bahahahahha I shouldn't laugh but man they did well you got to admit that!

savage1987

Donating Member
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
LS1 VN + WK Grange 0010 + HPW VX SS
hahaha wavez, nice sig ;)

Stolen fuel pump is one I haven't heard of before. Unlucky!!

vn6pwr, cat theft probably more common on 4wds because they are the only ones you can get far enough under without jacking up

Azp

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN/VR
Cheers vn6pwr.

bahahahahha I shouldn't laugh but man they did well you got to admit that!

Haha yeah I have no idea how they managed it.

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Wow, that's so harsh. It's a pain in the arse to get under those things and remove the fuel pumps. Good 15min job, 20min if they were rushing and dropping their tools, which I bet they would have :p haha

They would've been covered in petrol. There's no tidy way to remove those things without getting fuel EVERYWHERE, unless they waited 30min for the stuff to slowly drain into buckets. Hopefully they at least poured it back into their own car, instead of just wasting it.

You'll have to get the tail end of a fuel pump wiring loom from a wrecker, and patch it into your own loom since they cut everything. Get the fuel pump sender/bracket/everything but the pump itself from a wrecker, then buy a brand new pump. With any luck the pump they stole will crap itself. They tend to at this age.

You just got me worried about mine too, and I tried to get under there... but I can't physically get between the ground and my fuel tank :p You should invest in an 80l fuel tank so it doesn't happen again ^_^

vsl67

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS l67 statesman
It took me about one half hours to change the fuel pump ,mainly because I had a full tank at the time
but to be able to pinch one! I though it would near be impossible without getting caught they must have been fast ,these guys need a job in a pit crew