Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wrapped SSV Redline

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
looking back i would have considered the XPEL Stealth PPF.

but i agree with Forg please dont put simmons on it.
you have gone to the effort to wrap it to look different, then consider putting on probably the second most common wheel, the other being hussla

but of course that is just going by my observations of people selling/swapping them on fb/gt/ebay

scaredyet

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden VZ Lumina Wagon
Looks good.

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Simmons are awful. Rimfires would look nice. Even some black Koya SF11’s. Needs to be dropped though

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Now wait a sec with the ‘Simmons are awful’!
They’re just very early-90’s, and don’t suit anything newer than that ... nothing wrong with a VL on correctly-sized (max. about 17”) Simmons. :)

RED LION

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Redline
Now wait a sec with the ‘Simmons are awful’!
They’re just very early-90’s, and don’t suit anything newer than that ... nothing wrong with a VL on correctly-sized (max. about 17”) Simmons. :)

Fair call. They do suit the older Commodores.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
Actually I was thinking about it in bed last night (as you do) … I think that the design which all current Simmons wheels are based on (the F9 / F9R / F90) doesn't quite look right over about 17", and 17's look a little undersized on anything from VT onwards. For VN - VS, 17's are prolly OK, and I think the right colour of that style of Simmons would still work nicely.

I think another problem with Simmons is that they used to be both a really good wheel & a really expensive wheel. Those super lightweight Japanese and Italian wheels that used to cost about the same as a set of Simmons would bend or crack pretty quickly on Australian potholes back then (I dread to think of what sort of condition a set of original AE86-era Watanabe's / Wannabe's would be in if being sold on the used market now). But it seems either alloys or construction-methods improved, Simmons really only became about appearance, they went out of business, and then fast-forward a few years & Tempe Tyres buys the brand-name & starts making official cheap knock-offs --> they've become a cliché (and an affordable one now hence lots of clichés around).

The (original 90's) ones on my old Volvo are only 17x7.5 with a 215-40 tyre on them, and to me they feel heavier than the 19x8.5 with the 245-40 in the Commodore. Might be related to where you need to lift them from in the boot (a weight that's harder to get to is going to sort-of feel heavier just 'cos it's more difficult to get out) … but I suspect it's the difference between a 3-piece that's probably got cast components and a Forged one-piece.

[paradox]

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSV-R
they went out of business, and then fast-forward a few years & Tempe Tyres buys the brand-name & starts making official cheap knock-offs
ah i knew they went out of business, and made a cheap come back
i never realised tempe tyres were involved though

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 VF Series 2 SSV Redline W375 2016 FGX XR6 T
Looks good.

It does need lowering a bit to give it that badass look.

I was looking at swapping my wheels for 20 inch & lowering however my exhaust has only 115 mm ground clearance so I suspect I'm limited to how low I can go unless I can lift the exhaust.

Cheers
Paul