Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wretched calliper piston dust boot install help

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
For the last hour ive been trying to install a dust seal on the piston to go into the calliper with a Protex kit and im about to give up and ask a mechanic to install it, is there a easy sure way to do this? Im not using red rubber grease just some brake fluid I was able to get it on once but I forgot to use brake fluid and I couldnt push the piston in even when using a piston pushing tool I stopped because it would of tore apart the seal. How do mechanics do this do they have special tools? Since I dont have any red rubber grease is it ok to use vaseline.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
No don't use vas whatever you do, rubber grease is ok if you must. A bit of brake fluid is best. The Protex kits are a poor fit and this is the issue you are having. The PBR kits are a perfect fit but tracking them down will be a nightmare at best.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
The correct method makes it easy.

Have the piston in your hand and stretch the upper section of the seal around the lower section of the piston, this sort of gives the piston a rubber skirt that you will then have to maneuver into the groove that's inside the bore of the caliper, once you've done that carefully and squarely push the piston into the bore ensuring the seal doesn't pop out of that groove in the bore and folds up nicely.

Once you've mastered that, you'll be able to do them with your eyes closed time after time.

PS never use rubber grease on any of those components. Only ever use brake fluid as you have been doing.

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Yeah this is my first Protex kit and ive done another calliper before but it wasnt with Protex It was an IBS kit but that took me many tries and the same amount of time I just dont have the patience at the moment

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
The PBR kits are a perfect fit but tracking them down will be a nightmare at best.

PBR don't make them anymore. They are considered as obsolete and Protex are the only ones now making them.

As you suggested never use Vasoline, nor that Rubber Grease on parts that have brake fluid around them.

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
I just dont have the patience at the moment
Then don't do it I say and get someone more competent to do it for you. These are brakes you are playing with and someone's lives.

Vin999

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSedanS
no vaso its oil based even ky is better to use
Your getting mixed up with dust boot and piston rubber seal.
Clean all parts properly and use brake fluid, lil tip, lightly sand end of piston with 0000 steelo and just use the old pad and G clamps to push piston back.
Soak the parts/inside caliper in brake fluid and put seal in caliper, coat again and then push piston on.
Then get boot and place over caliper groove and stretch the other end over the inside piston groove and push piston back enough to put pad on.

GK813

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Well, success, after the third go but this time I used new brake fluid that seemed more "oily" the old fluid I was using was like water after being half a bottle in the shed for 6 months the air got to it but it was actually holding the positioning of the seal and piston together that did it

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
You install it as the piston is half way down.

The only fluid to be used is caliper assembly lube nothing else.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
and you keep on believen' your own BS to. There's nothing in a genuine Holden manual about caliper assembly lube.

They quote brake fluid and I'm happy to believe them opposed to some company trying hard to make a buck out of snake oil.

BTW what's the type of fluid inside a hydraulic braking system eh ?...................you have a bit of a think about it and then come back and tell me.

Brake fluid will work yes but calipers are assembled with caliper lube.
PBR used to sell it now they're bosch and they sell it.
Bosch make about 65% of brakes in the world and 85% of ABS units.