Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wretched calliper piston dust boot install help

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Some info, yes there is/was a specific red organic lubricant that was used instead of brake fluid for all hydraulic seals/piston and boots for brake/booster components/installation .
I can't remember the brand as it was many moons ago when I used to help out in the hydraulic brake section doing recon units.

Castrol Rubber Grease.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
"Nah mate it doesn't exist........... Oh wait yea nah that's brake fluid I tell ya" "even though I said it doesn't exist I now know it's exact chemistry"

There's tools then there's tools.

So the question begs....Why buy this grease, when normal new brake fluid does the job?

Shedding some light on your reasoning would shed some light on it for the novice.....

Pollushon

Boost gives me a bar....
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
So the question begs....Why buy this grease, when normal new brake fluid does the job?

Shedding some light on your reasoning would shed some light on it for the novice.....

Because certain people don't come here to help. They come here to tell people what to do and always be 'right'.....

vs-lover

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S2 Calais, VS S2 Exec Wagon, VS S2 Acclaim
Castrol Rubber Grease.

NEVER use Castrol Rubber grease on Caliper pistons or seals as it's not designed for that purpose. That becomes a contaminant to the system. Sadly there seems to be some sort of consensus out there that this product can be used anywhere within the braking system of a vehicle.....................................WRONG !

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
@vs-lover Further to your comment above, !
I never said to use Castrol Rubber Grease where @Vin999 mentioned the Red Organic Lubricate,
I then chimed in to mention the name of it, and now your saying not to use it, its 40+ years to late.

I have used the same rubber grease for 40+ years working on all cars when doing brake overhauls on Holdens, Fords, Honda, Mazda's
Some of the cars I have done a few times, I have also checked the condition of the calliper seals, as it doesn't take long to do,
Which is a good reason the blead the brakes to flush the old boil't/burn Brake fluid out, so its all been serviced, and has fresh brake fluid through the brake system.

With removing the pistons [carefully with compressed air] and removing piston seals, and dust seals/boots and cleaning them with degreaser, they still look as good as new, so I use the rubber grease to reassemble them.
Obviously if there appears to be a leak, you would install a service kit.

As far as I am aware, Callipers, Piston Seals & Dust Seals haven't changed in the past 40+ years that I can see,
and I haven't had any faults/issue's,
If anything, with using rubber grease, its make it easier to re-assemble,
and it helps the brake pad wear even, because the piston slides back easier, as it should,
which keeps the steering wheel straight under braking.

If you say it is a contaminant, how is this so ?
can you please explain to the JC Members your view on how its is ...........WRONG !

Maybe you need to inform Castrol of the same, they would be glad to hear your comments on their product.
https://www.castrol.com/en_au/australia/home/products/car/greases.html

Last edited:

Skylarking

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore Motorsport Edition
From Castrol web page as linked by @krusing, re their red rubber grease:

Specifically formulated for rubber to rubber lubrication where any effects such as hardening or swelling of the rubber must be avoided. It therefore can be used on automotive hydraulic brake and clutch components where compatibility with natural rubber and SBR seals are involved. It may also be used to assist the assembly of natural and synthetic rubber components for automotive brakes or clutch systems and suspension units.

From this web page:

Styrene Butadiene Rubber, SBR, is probably better known under its old names Buna S (Buna material) and GRS (government rubber styrene).... About one third of the world output of SBR is used in tire production. SBR is mostly used in seals for non-mineral oil based brake fluid applications...

So, if the above doesn’t answer the question whether it’s safe to used Castrol red rubber grease on brake seals during assembly, then I don’t know what will. Hint, it’s safe...

Whether rubber grease is really needed or whether brake fluid is just as acceptable when installing quality seals during caliper assembly is and always will be up for debate :p

Oh as for “Callipers, Piston Seals & Dust Seals haven't changed in the past 40+ years”, these parts have been continually changed in trivial ways every so often, just to make them incompatible as part of manufacturers designed obsolescence strategies. Wish there were tighter standardisation on various vehicle parts :cool:

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
I use rubber grease but I have found you only use a tiny smear and the wipe it out with your finger before putting the piston in. I leave next to no grease inside the caliper housing. I found a few times I got a bit heavy and it stayed in the corners of the housing. But since applying next to none it has been fine. I use rubber grease so the paint is not affected on my calipers.

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
From Castrol web page as linked by @krusing, re their red rubber grease:

Specifically formulated for rubber to rubber lubrication where any effects such as hardening or swelling of the rubber must be avoided. It therefore can be used on automotive hydraulic brake and clutch components where compatibility with natural rubber and SBR seals are involved. It may also be used to assist the assembly of natural and synthetic rubber components for automotive brakes or clutch systems and suspension units.

From this web page:

Styrene Butadiene Rubber, SBR, is probably better known under its old names Buna S (Buna material) and GRS (government rubber styrene).... About one third of the world output of SBR is used in tire production. SBR is mostly used in seals for non-mineral oil based brake fluid applications...

So, if the above doesn’t answer the question whether it’s safe to used Castrol red rubber grease on brake seals during assembly, then I don’t know what will. Hint, it’s safe...

Whether rubber grease is really needed or whether brake fluid is just as acceptable when installing quality seals during caliper assembly is and always will be up for debate :p

Oh as for “Callipers, Piston Seals & Dust Seals haven't changed in the past 40+ years”, these parts have been continually changed in trivial ways every so often, just to make them incompatible as part of manufacturers designed obsolescence strategies. Wish there were tighter standardisation on various vehicle parts :cool:

There's Steel, iron, aluminum and phenolic pistons used in brake systems. All these pistons require a slightly different seal to operate correctly. It's not some conspiracy to make it hard to get parts.

Also piston size is tuned to the size of pads, rotors, the amount of pistons and master size. So it's rare to find pistons the same size from model to model.

krusing

Reaction score
Members Ride
I use rubber grease but I have found you only use a tiny smear and the wipe it out with your finger before putting the piston in. I leave next to no grease inside the caliper housing. I found a few times I got a bit heavy and it stayed in the corners of the housing. But since applying next to none it has been fine. I use rubber grease so the paint is not affected on my calipers.

Correct, a smear on the inside of the bore seal groove,
Place the seal in, and wipe it out.
Not to drown it.