Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Written of because of Chlorine?

davway

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK LS1 Statesman
looking around the auction listings this evening, i came across a late model Patrol that had been written off - repairable.

Nothing unusual about that except it was written off because it had chlorine spilt in the back of it.

I understand the harshness of chlorine but surely it would be your own problem if spilt something like that in your car - wouldnt it?

Would an insurer actually take the claim serious if you tried to make such a claim (obviously for whatever reason they did this time).

I would have thought it would have to be cheaper to clean up a spill as such than to pay out on a $30000 4wd.
Sure the over powering smell may be hard to get rid of and i dont know if chlorine will bring on the rust or not (i dare say it would) but it must be able to be cleaned up and used safely if its a repairable - if it was that dangerous that no matter what, you could not get the chlorine smell out, it would be a Stat write off.

anyone have any sound opinions or other similar stories?

Vehicle Detail - Pickles Auctions Australia

Benjamin K

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais V6 Supercharged
looking around the auction listings this evening, i came across a late model Patrol that had been written off - repairable.

Nothing unusual about that except it was written off because it had chlorine spilt in the back of it.

I understand the harshness of chlorine but surely it would be your own problem if spilt something like that in your car - wouldnt it?

Would an insurer actually take the claim serious if you tried to make such a claim (obviously for whatever reason they did this time).

I would have thought it would have to be cheaper to clean up a spill as such than to pay out on a $30000 4wd.
Sure the over powering smell may be hard to get rid of and i dont know if chlorine will bring on the rust or not (i dare say it would) but it must be able to be cleaned up and used safely if its a repairable - if it was that dangerous that no matter what, you could not get the chlorine smell out, it would be a Stat write off.

anyone have any sound opinions or other similar stories?

Vehicle Detail - Pickles Auctions Australia

It doesn't say anywhere that it's a write off... It only says damaged interior and chlorine spilt in boot, guess you need to learn how to read... Anyway, if you have no idea of how badly chlorine (possibly liquid chlorine) can oxidize (rust) a floor pan then I guess you shouldn't be looking in the damaged section of Pickles... But just for your info, unless it has majorly corroded the chassis then it's not an issue, change the boot carpet, spray some wd40 on the metal the chlorine has touched and you have what is essentially a pretty sound car.

1991_Vn2nV

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN Berlina & 03 VY Berlina
It doesn't say anywhere that it's a write off... It only says damaged interior and chlorine spilt in boot, guess you need to learn how to read...Anyway, if you have no idea of how badly chlorine (possibly liquid chlorine) can oxidize (rust) a floor pan then I guess you shouldn't be looking in the damaged section of Pickles...

It is located in the Item Description when you search for a vehicle. You obviously haven't had much experience using the Pickles website. Perhaps they sell a Pickles for Dummies book? You did not have to reply in the way you did, especially when it turns out you were wrong in your response. He may not know the extent to which chlorine can oxidize a floor pan, but that is why people ask a question...To learn the answer. Incidentally, that is a fundamental purpose of this forum. Also, last time I checked, knowledge of chlorine effects wasn't a prerequisite for using the Pickles website and it is not exactly a common ailment for damaged vehicles so before you reply next time perhaps you should learn to play like a nice little child so I do not have to reply in turn :)

CP 07/02, Nissan, Patrol, GU III MY2002 ST, Wagon, 5 Seats
Manual, 4.2 , 6 Cyl, Diesel, Multi-Point Injection Turbo, 142,205 Kms (Approximately), Blue, Rego.No.:NP(845HWH), Repairable Writeoff, GST Included in Sale Price.

To davway, its interesting that there are no pictures of the spill as Pickles normally show some images of the damaged section. I doubt anyone would purposefully spill chlorine in the back (or atleast they wouldn't admit to it being on purpose) so if it were an accident, I don't see it as being any different to other damage caused by accident to a vehicle. If you drive your car into a brick wall with full comprehensive insurance, its still covered regardless of it being your own fault (though again you wouldn't have done it on purpose or if you did you would not admit to it :p). You would have to assume it was liquid chlorine that was spilt and it has been assessed that major repairs must be made to the floor pan to fix the spill and therefore write off the vehicle. The vehicles market value is probably closer to 20k too, not 30.

Last edited:

Hunter SS

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
Members Ride
2006 VE SS
It is located in the Item Description when you search for a vehicle. You obviously haven't had much experience using the Pickles website. Perhaps they sell a Pickles for Dummies book? You did not have to reply in the way you did, especially when it turns out you were wrong in your response. He may not know the extent to which chlorine can oxidize a floor pan, but that is why people ask a question...To learn the answer. Incidentally, that is a fundamental purpose of this forum. Also, last time I checked, knowledge of chlorine effects wasn't a prerequisite for using the Pickles website and it is not exactly a common ailment for damaged vehicles so before you reply next time perhaps you should learn to play like a nice little child so I do not have to reply in turn :)

well said... saves me having to say it :thumbsup:

Jesterarts

Your freedom ends where mine begins
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 Nissan X-Trail ST-L
New members giving long time members smug attitude = FAIL :p

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
I would say being written off that it gonna have some hidden chlorine damage, maybe the chlorine was spilt and left for a while.....

Ado

Are we there yet?
Reaction score
Members Ride
vsII statesman L67
Id say its from the smell,it would be right through the whole interior.Kind of like with smoke damage it goes though everything.

trentvy

Dodges raindrops
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vy S pack
It doesn't say anywhere that it's a write off... It only says damaged interior and chlorine spilt in boot, guess you need to learn how to read... Anyway, if you have no idea of how badly chlorine (possibly liquid chlorine) can oxidize (rust) a floor pan then I guess you shouldn't be looking in the damaged section of Pickles... But just for your info, unless it has majorly corroded the chassis then it's not an issue, change the boot carpet, spray some wd40 on the metal the chlorine has touched and you have what is essentially a pretty sound car.

geez fair harsh!