Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Written off vehicle laws

homer simpson

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
hello people how are yous. i emailed the SA register of motor vehicles and i havent got a reply and i cant find any information on written off vehicles laws so ill ask yous instead.

Are the laws on repairing accident damaged vehicles and reparing old chassis in older vehicles going to change because a mate of mine told me that they are talking about changing the laws on it. what would the % chance of 100 of that law passing because i dont want it to and im thinking of doing a petition on that and get everyone i know to put their name and sign it so i can post or email that to the person incharge of the written off vehicles.

Whos incharge of the written off vehicle laws because it may put crash repairers out of business and alot of people wont be happy and the more names on the petition the better.

How do i do a poll like what yous do sometimes where people select their options.

Thanks for any replies

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
if a vehicle is deemed written off due to excessive damage, it really shouldnt be put back on the road. this wont make crash repairers lose business, as not every damaged car is written off. it will just weed out most of the dodgy ones that half ass a repair to a write off.

homer simpson

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
so what happens to the people that like doing up cars can they repair the chassis on them or not because someones saying you may not be able to repair chassis only pannel and i think the laws should only apply to people doing the dodgy not the people that like doing up cars properly and taking them to be inspected. will the still be stat and repairable type write offs if the laws come in

hakhawk

smooth moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
BMW E21 320i, E36 "318IS" coupe
buy a straight car and start from there. going to be better in the long run.

homer simpson

Reaction score
Members Ride
holden
all im asking is can you still repair chassis in older cars like you used to be able to if they are only rusted out or have a small crack in them and will there still be 2 types of write offs or will they all be listed as stat writeoffs if the new laws come in because you used to be able to do what you want to any damaged car

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Here in QLD if a car is involved in an accident and the insurance company deems it a write off it goes on the register as a repairable write off and the car can be repaired and re-registered but must undergo an inspection to show that it has been repaired properly. The other category is a statutory write off and can never be re-registered as it is deemed unrepairable.

I would expect that any other states that introduce this would follow the same rules.

Written-off vehicle register.

Gus The Snail

Born to be dizlegzic
Reaction score
ipswich - on the right side of the tracks
Members Ride
VS ute S2 1996
Here in QLD if a car is involved in an accident and the insurance company deems it a write off it goes on the register as a repairable write off and the car can be repaired and re-registered but must undergo an inspection to show that it has been repaired properly. The other category is a statutory write off and can never be re-registered as it is deemed unrepairable.

I would expect that any other states that introduce this would follow the same rules.

Written-off vehicle register.

yeah this is right.. I have just got my ute done.. it was a repairable write off , i have had to do a lot of work to repair it , and keep all paperwork involved with the rebuild. You need to contact a vehicle auction house , they will tell you all you need to know about repairing and re-registering the car. DOT are usually useless when it comes to this kinda thing , altho you might get a hot ass chick who is more than willing to help.. i know i did ;)

NORTI

Reaction score
Members Ride
Wildtrak
in SA, if its a 'stat' write off it is unable to be repaired at all. 'economical's can be repaired & re-registered.

Bascialy I guess they were finding too many dodgy repairs.

J_D

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN S1 and VS V8 Statesman
Bascialy I guess they were finding too many dodgy repairs.

It was actually introduced to stop chop shops from buying wrecks for a few hundred bucks and using the plates to "re-birth" a stolen car.