Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WRX vs VE SS

Status
Not open for further replies.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yeah probably. In fact as the Rex is a turbo I say lets compare the VF GTS. Hehe

While I don't mind a bit of hypothetical debate, the whole thing is a moot point for me anyway in a sense:
1. I don't condone street racing - not saying anyone else does either.
2. Very few stock SS's around and if you're going to the drag's to have a run then chances are your not stock and neither is the car in the opposite lane.
3. There is so much more to an SS than the 6.0L. A Rex could do sub 10's and I still wouldn't want to own one. :rice:

uniacidz

Harden the Frak Up
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Its the sound of the V8 i love.

Just sayin

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Yeah probably. In fact as the Rex is a turbo I say lets compare the VF GTS. Hehe

While I don't mind a bit of hypothetical debate, the whole thing is a moot point for me anyway in a sense:
1. I don't condone street racing - not saying anyone else does either.
2. Very few stock SS's around and if you're going to the drag's to have a run then chances are your not stock and neither is the car in the opposite lane.
3. There is so much more to an SS than the 6.0L. A Rex could do sub 10's and I still wouldn't want to own one. :rice:
This goes in circles, if your comparing to a GTS let the STI owner spend the difference of purchase price up to $100k on mods.

426Cuda

SUBLIME!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF Redline Sedan - A6 Spitfire MSE...
Yep agree, but then it wouldn't be standard. I was joking anyway. I suppose we could break it right down to power / weight, torque / weight and tractability, but as with all comparisons there is an element of subjectivity. In reality they are just too very different cars with similar performance to say 160km/h?
One thing I do know though. A Rex would pull it's four little ring holes out trying to tow my boat, with a full car load - Family and luggage etc. The Redline hardly raises its pulse, and is still a joy to drive. After five hours in the saddle, I get out feeling good, not bone shaken.

bigdaddycool

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SS SILVER SEDAN
Yep agree, but then it wouldn't be standard. I was joking anyway. I suppose we could break it right down to power / weight, torque / weight and tractability, but as with all comparisons there is an element of subjectivity. In reality they are just too very different cars with similar performance to say 160km/h?
One thing I do know though. A Rex would pull it's four little ring holes out trying to tow my boat, with a full car load - Family and luggage etc. The Redline hardly raises its pulse, and is still a joy to drive. After five hours in the saddle, I get out feeling good, not bone shaken.

Agree'd. The SS is more then just some big V8..... It's as they call it a "Super Sport'... a proper family saloon. And just to come back to the modified note..... since people picked on my run up of it. My point was simple....... If you take a rex and a SS and spend the same money, dollar for dollar the SS will make more power....... it is just logical period. A v8 is a big engine, spending more to improve its efficiency as opposed to improving on a fairly efficient four cyclinder turbo already......

So stock...... an ss is better, dollar for dollar modified the SS will still be better....... then all the other attributes people have noted, still matter. its comfortable, doesn't care how many people you have in the car...... displacement, torque.......

It really is a silly thread. two very different cars....

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
You seem to forget power to weight, you need your big powerful V8 to move your 2 ton ocean liner.

TAS1981

Reaction score
Having had the first version Sti from 94, and driving on track and nurburgring etc and tuning it a bit from standard plus now owning a 2007 SSV I think I have a. Fairly good basis for comment.

Firstly the standard WRX is a bit boring. The Sti is a different beast. The WRX is really a bit underpowered, it's fun nimble (in classic guise) and as a country road bomber it's quick point to point, plus in the wet it's great (and snow, I'm from the UK!)

My Sti was quick on circuit, when the weather was wet most fast cars like caterhams an the odd Elise struggled with traction and I just drove round them. It only weighed about 1250kgs. Acceleration out of corners was great with AWD and low weight, left my friends M3 for dead (read heavy but powerful rear wheel drive car).

Straight line speed it was much more even when in mid gears. The WRX would have struggled for power.

So I think much the same, mid gear the SS wins, on a track the SS brakes would melt, it's not nimble and traction is not as good, so all that power is wasted.

On a drag strip the SS hunts down the WRX STI maybe. WRX it beats.

The STI is a more fun car, also great sound, not as comfortable inside but still very practical. I looked at another before deciding on the SSV, went with it as it was different for me.

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Status
Not open for further replies.