Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WSM248 (mild) cam

revster

Reaction score
Members Ride
30th Anniversary HSV Senator (Gone) MY19 Golf R
Well, after a few minor adjustments to the tune (like injector pulse time) the tuner said he thought the issue was with his trans tune. He lowered the rpm that the convertor locks up under light throttle in lower gears.

Early days but the drive home (12 ks of average traffic, traffic lights, never getting above 62 kph, but a warm motor, fuel=19.9L/100. Very happy with that as it will get lower.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
if u want to drive around with a wideband in then it has to be before the cats preferably, if u put one in the rear tail pipe like on the dyno u will get air reversion back into it so it will read lean/leaner then it should, the beauty of the new tuning platforms is "filters" u can drive around and log wideband data then filter out all the stuff u dont want like DFCO, or TPS above and or below a desired percentage within a desired amount of time so u can narrow the data down to usable steady state then u have the data u want (and u can do filters with any or all of the hundreds of parameters u can log) one of the parts of a good tuner is getting the right data for each situation

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Consumption with a cam is so subjective. I get 9L/100 idling on the highway with a 232/234 with ~600 lift and 114LSA cam, but I can also get 25L/100 if I punish it a bit around town.

The good thing about WSM is they do put effort into properly tuning i.e. I had to leave mine overnight so they could tune the cold start tables properly. The only issue I had is that the air density is a bit different ~600m up in the mountains in Toowoomba so cold starts were a bit iffy when the first winter rolled around. It learns fairly quickly though, after a couple of cold winter starts when it first gets cold it's fine.
An interesting post, I’m in Toowoomba too...hoping all goes well with my WSM tune also!

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
Nice. Good result.

monstar

Naturally as-pirated
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Members Ride
Peugeot 207 GTi
Definitely the best tune reporting tool is a hard wired DUAL wideband serial controller. Far more accurate and reliable than a dyno jockey catering for drive in / drive out turbo Mini and 4WD diesels with an LSU4.2 mounted as single probe shoved up the jacksie and clipped to one tailpipe. By an order of magnitude.
You do basic checks after tyre or brake service, oil and filter change but just coz race flags and a drum hooked up to a PC apparently getting a tune is akin to open heart surgery. But it’s almost exactly opposite, same MO everywhere - blokes charge $500-$1000 to flash a generic tune, give it a run on the rollers, toggle diagnostic reporting, post upload check, then huzzah print an amazing laminated inkjet placard for the pool room.
In my experience that level of stock+ big WOT tuning is actually pretty poor across a range of real world driving when you evaluate it using proper equipment and objective criteria.
Yes, of course afterward you need to tell the tuner where it is crap and atrocious, perhaps dangerous. Just coz headphones and dyno time, or burnout / land speed records hanging from the wall, whatever, doesn’t mean the tune is perfect or even appropriate in the first place.
Typically with a cam fit there’s been up to a dozen pulls and maybe an hour touching steady state to confirm calibration in key areas. Whereas a full custom tune (next to one of the tuners) does take a whole day on the rollers.
In my experience the next most important thing after a tune would be a hardwired interface so you can monitor / scan and understand the important aspects of the tune on your phone/tablet any time. Once you see exactly what’s going on while driving I’ll be buggered if that doesn’t lead to tweaking the tune yourself (vs paying, explaining and watching another bloke do what you could).
In doing so you realise the brilliance and clumbsiness of the stock tune directly compared with the calibration tweaks.
Nothing beats big data across a range of conditions.

Last edited:
H

harrop.senator

^ this is why I have a tuner preference. Does the big wot tune on the rollers a couple of real world mimics to try get it closish.

Then drives round suburbia for an hour or two to teach it some manners. Obviously if it were your car n constantly fiddling you could get it better with the knowledge but it's pretty bloody good for a retailer tune.

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
I follow a tuner from the US, after he's finished on the rollers the car goes out on the road and the tune is checked over including checking the fuel trims to make sure everything is where it should be from normal driving conditions. The tuner started out doing street tunes before he opened up a workshop so understands the real world driving needs Vs the peak power print out.

Like Monstar I do my own tuning. Every now and then I log a drive and check fuel trims etc, especially after I do any mods, even minor ones like changing the type of spark plugs I run, I recently fitted a catch can and things have changed ever so slightly so another tweak will be required.

Tryg

Reaction score
Members Ride
a white car
Definitely the best tune reporting tool is a hard wired DUAL wideband serial controller. Far more accurate and reliable than a dyno jockey catering for drive in / drive out turbo Mini and 4WD diesels with an LSU4.2 mounted as single probe shoved up the jacksie and clipped to one tailpipe. By an order of magnitude.
You do basic checks after tyre or brake service, oil and filter change but just coz race flags and a drum hooked up to a PC apparently getting a tune is akin to open heart surgery. But it’s almost exactly opposite, same MO everywhere - blokes charge $500-$1000 to flash a generic tune, give it a run on the rollers, toggle diagnostic reporting, post upload check, then huzzah print an amazing laminated inkjet placard for the pool room.
In my experience that level of stock+ big WOT tuning is actually pretty poor across a range of real world driving when you evaluate it using proper equipment and objective criteria.
Yes, of course afterward you need to tell the tuner where it is crap and atrocious, perhaps dangerous. Just coz headphones and dyno time, or burnout / land speed records hanging from the wall, whatever, doesn’t mean the tune is perfect or even appropriate in the first place.
Typically with a cam fit there’s been up to a dozen pulls and maybe an hour touching steady state to confirm calibration in key areas. Whereas a full custom tune (next to one of the tuners) does take a whole day on the rollers.
In my experience the next most important thing after a tune would be a hardwired interface so you can monitor / scan and understand the important aspects of the tune on your phone/tablet any time. Once you see exactly what’s going on while driving I’ll be buggered if that doesn’t lead to tweaking the tune yourself (vs paying, explaining and watching another bloke do what you could).
In doing so you realise the brilliance and clumbsiness of the stock tune directly compared with the calibration tweaks.
Nothing beats big data across a range of conditions.
I can say, the 5-gas analyser probe certainly was long, maybe not as good as having a wide-band added. They used quarter of a tank of fuel, on the tune, so it’s not as yippee-ki-yay as a flash tune or basic dyno run.