Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WTF!!?? First issue with the SSV and it made me cry!

bigdave999

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
I got charged $15 to install new windscreen wiper blades once, that is on top of the $15 odd dollars for the wiper blades. Wasn't I a little pissed off that day. This is at a dealership.

This was the point I was making......Ricey, just coz you havent heard of it, doesnt mean it doesnt happen mate.

These are tha facts but hey dont let that ruin your chance to make smug remarks huh?

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
This was the point I was making......Ricey, just coz you havent heard of it, doesnt mean it doesnt happen mate.

These are tha facts but hey dont let that ruin your chance to make smug remarks huh?

Considering I already responded to the post you quoted, and the person that wrote it admitted the dealership wasn't at fault, I guess you dont really have a point.

And as for smug remarks, if you stated facts I wouldn't have the opportunity to do so would I?

Jacko84

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina soon to be 5L
Common sense isnt a word in an engineers design of a car id love to see an engineer work on a car.

Yes we charge for Diagnosis some problems take 5mins to diagnose others take upwards of a Day you think that its easy to diagnose some problems. think again

how are trainee expected to learn otherwise, yes i think your price shouldnt change because a trainee allways has a Qualified person looking over there shoulder.

of course people are charged for retentiong a handbrake think its easy think again some cars are an absolute prick to work on and things take time to do, time means labour.

think again before you rant and rave like this please.

regards 2nd year Apprentice

RiCeY

F O R U M W A R R I O R
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV8 6spd 6.0 430rwhp
As said above an apprentice always has a tech with them so going by your logic you should be charged more because you have two people working on your car :)

Kikki

WA Cruise Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.christielynphotography.com
Members Ride
08 VE SSV Sportswagon & 03 VY S Pac
I'm all for charging people, I had a mechanical business for a few years.

My issue with the handbrake was they had recently adjusted it, which we paid for, then the car went in for warranty work (some of which was handbrake related) and since then it's needed adjustment again, that's why I didn't want to pay for it.

Let's not turn this into a silly debate, the motoring industry has it's good and bad.

Car seems fine now, the ticking sound is normal, apparently the extractors just make it echo a little, I was told that most likely I'm only noticing it now because we have only just had issues with the car lol. Felt better hearing pro auto telling me though ;-)

Thanks for all the feedback guys!

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Yeah that sounds about right.
The extractors on my car make it sound like a its got a real bad rattle in the gearbox.

bigdave999

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
OK I dont really want to drag this out as we obviously have different opinions from different sides of the fence and my 19 year old ape remark obviously offended some people. Sorry if that is the case.

but, being factual, why if "supervised" was a trainee allowed to remove my starter motor with a ball pein hammer, thus breaking it and a new part having to be sourced from over east? and leaving me without car for a week, and still getting charged full price for the service it was in for. Supervision is only good if done properly........i dont appreciate putting my $50,000 car in the hands of a person who was obviously not experienced or supervised properly.

Why would you condone charging for a handbrake retensioning during a routine service? This should surely be a service item........back in the old days this was listed as a "check and adjust" item and done as part of the service as are fluid level checks and strip,clean and reassemble the brakes. Not sure how long you have been in the industry but going back 10-15 years, these items were all included on the printed service schedules. Now it seems that every Holden dealer just want to take as much cash off you every time you visit for these fairly minor jobs which have now been listed separately from main service schedules.

Points in case

Was told at 12 months/15,000 kms that I needed a coolant flush and refill.........dexcol has a life of 5 years or 240000kms according to GM's advertising
Was told at 25,000 Kms that I needed a brake fluid change.......for $180 +GST....wtf sort of brake fluid are they using to charge this amount.......assuming they are using a pressure bleeder, this is not a major job.
Was told at 25,000 Kms that I needed new wiper blades (seems to be a common one actually).....a wipe over with a rag and they worked perfectly

I can only assume that these are blatant attempts to take cash by deception and yes, I know dealerships need to make money and maybe City Motors treat their clients differently ricey but that doesnt make this kind of over charging right in other dealerships.

Service costs have not got cheaper and nowadays very little is done for the money you pay.

Holden service is marketed as the "gold standard" with great onus being placed on dealer service and logbook history. It just feels like a giant rip off.

So, this is why I am "ranting and raving", and these are all "facts" from my personal experiences

bigdave999

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
sorry Kikki I was typing my last post while you posted your last one.......point taken.....not much point debating this on your thread

glad your car is sorted

soop

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 SS Commodore Series II
Yeah it does last 5yrs.
Doesn't mean you SHOULD have it in there for 5yrs. Also new components wear, the crap ends up in the coolant and will kill **** fast unless you replace it.

I suggest you do a bit of research before making comments like you do.
While I'll agree that Dealers are rip off merchants, most of the time they follow the specifications for servicing set out by Holden.

bigdave999

Reaction score
Members Ride
N/A
You just contracdicted your own post soop

the "specification" from GM says it lasts 5 years or 240,000 so that's what one has to assume is the life by the "SPECIFICATION".........by that reckoning how can Holden service schedule "SPECIFICATION" say change it after 12 months or 15000 kms.

Try thinking about what your typing or if you just want to argue, try youtube