Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wtf is up with my 1" Master cylinder bracket?

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
i finally got around to hooking up my 1" master cylinder and booster, and i can't get the front bracket to fit.
i've got the back of the booster bolted up and flush to the firewall (even when it was loose i couldn't get the front bracket to fit)

from these photos you can see that the bolt hole is nowhere near lining up with the hole in the bracket, and also the bracket sits at an angle to the master cylinder.
i got the MC from [topgear] when he pulled down his vn, but got the bracket from a wrecker, is there any difference in brackets for the 1"MC, aside from the v6/v8 difference?

frontshot.jpg

topshotx.jpg

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
I think the brackets are the same between v6 & v8. It's the brake line flares that are different between the 15/16 and the 1"

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
nah, the line flares are the same, i compared the bracket with a v6 one my mate brought round and the difference is in the bend on them. the v6 one bends so it has the bolts from the strut ahead of the bend, and the v8 one has the bolts behind the bend.
the booster is contacting the strut, but apart from that it all fits and lines up.
at first i thought the bracket between the booster and the firewall might have been upside down, but i put it in both ways and it doesn't change the way the whole arrangement sits.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I have done plenty of them when doing the vt mas/booster upgrade....id have something that would work already madeup...probably without the big hole but thats a matter of you drilling a 13mm hole in a piece of 3 mm steel where you need it if it sits too far off the master when bolted up put a couple of washers between it and the master

88GreenVN

Next Exit Left
Reaction score
Members Ride
Dodge Ram Van 1500 5.2 V8
nah, the line flares are the same, i compared the bracket with a v6 one my mate brought round and the difference is in the bend on them. the v6 one bends so it has the bolts from the strut ahead of the bend, and the v8 one has the bolts behind the bend.
the booster is contacting the strut, but apart from that it all fits and lines up.
at first i thought the bracket between the booster and the firewall might have been upside down, but i put it in both ways and it doesn't change the way the whole arrangement sits.

On the 1" unit that went into my 88 wagon had the flare opposite to the 15/16 and the mechanic just did the lines up so tight that one never came out. When fitting the VT m/c and booster I had to remove the whole front line and take it to a brake place to redo the flare. He showed me why - the flare taper when the wrong way for the V6 lines.

Maybe there is more than 1 type of 1" M/C.

I have a V6 bracket in the shed will go have a look at it today.

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
I have done plenty of them when doing the vt mas/booster upgrade....id have something that would work already madeup...probably without the big hole but thats a matter of you drilling a 13mm hole in a piece of 3 mm steel where you need it if it sits too far off the master when bolted up put a couple of washers between it and the master

cool, i'll chuck up a rough image of what i was thinking of having made/making.
just cos it looks like it's a bit forward and angled up of where it should be. how much are you chasing?

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
You've just got to bend it, it won't sit perfectly square/straight, it requires a few bends. I'll take a photo of mine tonight and show you.

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
cool, i'll chuck up a rough image of what i was thinking of having made/making.
just cos it looks like it's a bit forward and angled up of where it should be. how much are you chasing?
Ill see what I have and take a pict of it....to me its only a bit of steel so you can have it for a couple of beers+ post

pow3rslave

DoNothing Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP 5.0L
after all this, i took the booster >firewall bracket off my v6 15/16 setup, and with that on it fit.
go figure, maybe the v8 one i had was bent, or something.