Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WTF Powering steering gone VN V8

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
Gday guys,im totally stumped here,when to take my vn ss for spin today and ive got no power steering.Im a big boy and i almost couldnt turn it back in the driveway. Now last week the pump starting whining and topped up the fluid,all good and worked fine. Car hasnt been driven for like 5 days so went to drive it today and started it up
(all nice and quite with no power steering noise whats so ever)
Reversed out of the driveway as normal then put in D and started going forward and its as tough as hell to turn but theres no power steering noise.
The pump looks empty so will take the v6 out and get some more oil tonight,what im wondering is shouldnt the pump atleast whine if its low or no oil? Or im thinking the pump might be stuffed and yep the PS belt is still on..lol

So stuffed pump you reckon?

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
The pump has no oil:) I think if you fix the leak you will be fine

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
hope thats the case greenfoam,now i gotta find where its all gone,no oil patches under the car...weird ****..lol will fill it tommorrow and suss it out.
Yeh i just thought pump would whine like a bitch with no oil.

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
Nah they don't allways make much noise. It must be leaking pretty good, just fill it up and run the engine, turn the steering a bit, it should be dripping from somewhere straight away

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
It'll either be leaking out of the pump, a hose, or the rack - most likely through a boot.

While you're in there, delete the power steering altogether :p I did, and I havn't looked back!

ScoHar

Jizz in my pants
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Senator
rub your finger on the inside of the pump pulley, I've noticed a couple that leak through the shaft there, but don't make a puddle or anything cos its getting constantly flung around.

H00LiGaN

Reaction score
Members Ride
VNSS
yeh didnt get round to it today, trying to find some strong planks of wood because my car is to low and wont even drive up a set of ramps so i need to add the planks to get the car on the ramps. Then i can have a good look under the bloody thing.