Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WTF!!! Trany sliping n not going in2 gear

maco_butterfly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive '93' 6
Hay all

this morning, started my car n there was this really distentictive knocking coming from the engine, it was normal for it to knock in the morning but 2day it was really loud. as i mad my way 2 work i realised the car wasnt changing gears very well n bout 5km from home i realised it was stuck in 3rd gear.

now iv just serviced the transmission 2 weeks ago, found out the the transmission is a reco and the transmission line have been cun and 'patched' up wif hose n clamps :-(

iv gone thro the computer and no codes have cum up so its a real mystery 2 me.

my bf believe is the injectors but not quiet sure due to me on just arriving at work.

please get back 2 me if u have any ideas or have had simular probs.

thanks

Vanessa [email protected]

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Sounds like the trans has gone into "limp home mode" - there should have been codes set so maybe do them again. As to why it is in LHM may have something to do with the loud knocking you heard this morning. Check this link:
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...d-knocking-sound-engine-bay-youtube-link.html

The cut and patched lines for the trans may only mean that they were damaged on removal - if it worked good before that should be OK.

maco_butterfly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive '93' 6
thanks for the you tube vid.

it sounds simular altho mine kind of knocks like every 2 seconds, then if u have alook at the revo meter it's revs's to bout 2 then drops back to 1 then zero and does the same thing constantly then if it wants to it stalls.

its really doin my head in!!! iv checkd the coil pack, serviced the transmission, changed the oil but hasnt gone for a tune up.

i havnt had a lunch break yet to go sus out if the cars still doin that tho.

iv had trany issue since the day i bought it. but it still a good car tho.

maco_butterfly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive '93' 6
go figure!!!!!

i just went for a drive on my lunch break and it's changing gears again like its fixed!!!
ALTHO: she's idling really funni n she kind of stalld when i was sitting in the car park after mthe drive (WTF!!!)

the knock is still there (as it always has been ) but its kind of struggling to keep goin like every 2 seconds its like:
im going to stall, im not going 2 stall, i am goin to stall.... i stall.

iv got no clue wat it could b. also dnt no if this is related to the issue but my flywheel it's catching as much as it use 2. so i kind of have to over turn the key to get it started. but this happens like twice every week.

please some one give me guidence!!!! i really dnt want take it to a mechanic due to the fact i like to work on the car myself.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Try cleaning the throttle body and the Idle Air Control (IAC) valve (see how to). How are plugs and leads? I'd also remove the starter motor and have a look at it - if its covered in oil/crap then its probably not engaging properly....or it could just be on its last legs. I'd make the starter a priority as it ain't gunna fix itself and starters seem to fail completely just when you really need them.

maco_butterfly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive '93' 6
LOL. Very good point. it starter motor is at the least of the probs coz 2 me there easy 2 fix n deal wif. my plugs n leads r fresh n new. my throttle body was last cleaned bout 3 months ago but i didnt do the Idle air control. . . i got 2 look in2 dat 1

Not_An_Abba_Fan

Exhaust Guru
Reaction score
Members Ride
Strange Rover
I'm curious, what do you do for a job? Nothing that involves typing I hope.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
maco_butterfly, the clues that you are giving are a bit obscure and there is likely more than one problem.

This is how I interpret what you have posted:

1) There is a knocking sound from the engine when you start the car, which was worse than normal this morning.

2) The auto. isn't changing gears properly, ultimately remaining in 3rd gear, but then was OK on a subsequent test drive.

3) You changed the auto. fluid and filter 2 weeks ago.

4) There are no fault codes.

5) The idle speed varies up and down, between ~1000 and ~2000 rpm.

6) The starter motor doesn't work sometimes.

Maybe try:

Auto. fluid. Check the level first. It's easy to get it wrong because the dipstick tends to collect fluid as it drags against the wall of the tube. The lowest level indicated on the dipstick should be at the top of the cross hatched section. It needs to be checked with the trans. hot, on level ground, in P or N, engine running. Probably OK, but basics first.

Because you have just changed it, it should be clean and red. If the trans. is slipping, the fluid will deteriorate pretty quickly (even in two weeks) and would then be darker and also smell differently than when it came out of the bottle (for reference). Also the dipstick should come out clean, without any bits of dust sticking to it (wet with the fluid) which would be the lining off internal parts in the auto.

If you changed the filter in the auto., did you also change/remove the old seal between the filter and the transmission? This is the best picture I can find atm: http://www.transtec.com/rebuilder_news/3rd_q94r-n.pdf page2, LHS. (It's unimportant which type of seal you have.)

A broken flex plate = flywheel or loose flex plate to torque converter bolts. That would explain the engine knock, possibly the transmission fault, and the odd starter motor operation (if the starter is turning but the engine isn't).

The hunting idle and the trans. fault might be explained by faulty wiring, (including the connectors or, less likely, a faulty PCM - computer). If you can change the idle speed by moving the wiring harnesses that are around the engine (be careful of the moving parts with the engine running) that would be one clue. There is also a harness and connector under the car that passes into the trans. and you could try moving that too and see if the trans. fault alters.

If the starter doesn't crank, try moving the gear selector and see if it will then start before condemning the starter motor.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
I'm curious, what do you do for a job? Nothing that involves typing I hope.

I wasn't going to say anything, but yes maco_butterfly, the SMS style does make your posts harder to read.

maco_butterfly

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive '93' 6
thanks for the comments guys.

ummm my job, i work for the department of education. i type in SMS style because im usually on justcommondores while at work and can only b quick at leaving threads n comments lol