Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

WTF VR Airbag Failure!

Reaction score
Website
www.garageminiz.com
Members Ride
VR S2 Estate V6
Yesterday when leaving work I started my car only to have the airbag deploy in my face as the ignition turned the engine over.
1. The car was stationary (no crash)
2. No prior warning of any issue (no airbag light on dash)
4. The car started fine and kept running during and after the airbag deployment.
3. Yes I was injured by the airbag exploding in my face
4. WTF happend??

I googled "airbag failure" only to find articles on cars that have crashed without the airbag deploying.
Anyone know what caused this OR where I can find someone from Holden to complain to?

Last edited:

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Welcome to the forum...too bad it wasn't under different circumstances! You are lucky you weren't badly injured. However, I've never heard of this happening - I'd contact the RACQ or in your case the NRMA for advice. I wouldn't contact the state transport people (RTA?) because they will basically confiscate your vehicle to play with it....also no airbag makes your car unroadworthy.
I'd guess the best answer you will get from 'anyone' is that the system simply had a "malfunction". Maybe also I would do a error code check - it would be interesting to see if it left one. the how to is:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307

bigneilsen

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT SS LS1
haha bet it scared the **** outa you.
did it hurt? blood nose?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
You will need to get someone with a Tech 1 scantool to read the SRS module for error codes to find out what has happened..If there is code "66 =Airbag Deployment Commanded" in the SRS module ,you will know the SRS module itself commanded the airbag to fire,(which obviously shouldnt happen unless in a crash).If theres no codes logged in the system,then it is most likely a faulty airbag assembly,and the airbag has fired by itself and was probably faulty.I know there was a few airbags that fired for no reason in the VT series when they were first released.I remember reading about it.It makes me wonder if someone has stuffed around with the SRS system before you bought the car.You get some fools that just remove the SRS bulb from the dash when it comes on to warn of a problem etc.Did the SRS light on the dash work before the airbag went off?

Last edited:

shanhsv

Luvo
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais V6 & VSII Senator 215i
Sounds like it shorted out. Weird to hear a VR/S airbag going off at all, let alone as you start the car. I was in the SES for 3 yrs and did road rescue for 2.5yrs. I seen a few VR/S's that had the front end smashed in,and good yet the airbags never went off. Before cutting some poor bastard out of their car,we'd have to check if theres an airbag or not.

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
The airbag needs to be supplied with voltage to fire.
I would be getting the codes read as Brett_jjj suggested to eliminate a module fault.

Has any non standard wiring been fitted recently?

Reaction score
Website
www.garageminiz.com
Members Ride
VR S2 Estate V6
Welcome to the forum...too bad it wasn't under different circumstances! You are lucky you weren't badly injured. However, I've never heard of this happening - I'd contact the RACQ or in your case the NRMA for advice. I wouldn't contact the state transport people (RTA?) because they will basically confiscate your vehicle to play with it....also no airbag makes your car unroadworthy.
I'd guess the best answer you will get from 'anyone' is that the system simply had a "malfunction". Maybe also I would do a error code check - it would be interesting to see if it left one. the how to is:
https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307

Thanks for the tip about the RTA.
@Brett_jjj no prior warning at all. ie. no SRS light.
If the vehicle is deemed unroadworthy without the airbag, then what about after market steering wheels fitted to other cars?
Are they all illegal if the vehicle was fitted with an airbag? Can I fit a boss kit and sports wheel legaly in NSW?
I'm the fourth owner of the car, the first was fleet managed and the other two are workmates and no additional wiring has been performed on the vehicle before.
@bigneilsen the only thing that scared me was that it could've happend to my wife instead.
No blood nose, lucky for me I had my head turned slightly to the left so it hit me in the throat/jaw area, then filled the car with plastic smelling smoke.
Thanks guys for the common sense replys.

acarmody

Donati..Whoa Green
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Berlina
I believe in all states that if a car comes factory with an airbag then it must always have an airbag. So cars rolling around with Boss or similar kits are very much illegal.

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
Sorry I worded my question a bit wrong.I meant to say, was the SRS light coming on when the ignition key was turned on.It should come on for 2 seconds and then go off every time the ignition key is turned to on or start,it does this to show the SRS system is working ok..I was just wondering if you noticed if it was doing this?