Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wtf

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
While I was going for a country drive I switched over to petrol and everything was ok for about 10ks or so and the engine died so I quickly switched back to gas and she ran good again.This kept on happening each time I did the changeover until I just left it on gas until I arrived home.Next day I removed the New fuel filter I had just replaced and found it half full of what looked like mud.I guess this is the eventual build up collected over the 26 years.Looks like I'll be removing the tank and having a clean.Is this a pretty easy task or should I just stick to LPG?I mainly like the petrol working as a back up when something breaks and it's easier to locate a problem.The last time I found a problem when on LPG was a loose connection on the solenoid switch.Having a working dual fuel does have it's benefits.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
yer man i rember not long ago ari666 pulled out his petrol tank and it was dirty as
i need to do mine to its like rusty water.. not good for the car at all mate.
just take the tank out clean it or get anyther one and it should be alrite !
also replace the filter

OR OR OR
if uve never replaced ur fuel filter it could just be build up in the filter

if u dont know how to change it
its on the filter box or somethign if not pm me ;)

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
yeah man, taking that tank out isnt easy. the replacement tank i bought is still sitting in the workshop :( its very likely the 'gunk' is a buildup of water and dead fuel. it smells RANCID. flushing the tank will get rid of a lot of it and is probably a good idea, but yeah. its not an easy task.

yeah i dunno what to say really. i wouldnt run it on just gas, but wouldnt run it on petrol till you have the majority out the crap out.

whats up

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais
Thankz guys,yeah you're right about the smell it was pretty bad.I reckon I still had some of the old super grade floating around the bottom LOL.
I'll take the easy way out and just keep changing filters and filling up whenever I go for a run.
It's just got like it because for years I just neglected the petrol side of things when my fuel pump **** itself so I just left it on gas.
It definitely pays to have both systems operating as I found out when I was driving thru the Grampians and I underestimated my gas in the tank after vshe went on to the red light and I was lucky to have enough petrol to get me to the next servo_Once again thanks guys.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
mate immagein that crap going thru ur engine!