Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Wtf!!

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
bezz_86 said:
the reason itd sound bad would be due to the way the sound travels...

the sub would produce sound waves going in all directions...

however what would be happening is that the sound waves bouncing off the boot and back into the cabin would destructively interfere with the sound waves already travelling to the front - meaning they arent in phase.

the reason itd sound better with the boot open is that the sound waves travelling towards the boot would be dissipated out of there.

all you need to get the sound waves in phase is to move your sub around in the boot to find the right position. :D
its not a matter of phase. more over its just that destructive interference is happening. get it so constructive interference in occuring and you will effectively get a sound wave with twict the amplitude of just the sub's wave. duno if that mean twice the volume though.... the intergral probably wouldnt be double...... hmmm..... what does 12voltking or dephillie have to say about this????

mat vsII

Reaction score
Members Ride
WK statesman 5.7, VS exec TURBO
Update

Ok I have tryed to open the center of the seat by folding it down and it does the same thing

if you look at the sub you can see how fare it is vibrating....
then you open the boot and the cone moves twise as far...
i dont know if it is a breathing sub or not because i got it second hand.

but i like the way it looks there and would like to keep it there.

would port hols help at all??? :bang:

bezz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK
garfa said:
its not a matter of phase. more over its just that destructive interference is happening. get it so constructive interference in occuring and you will effectively get a sound wave with twict the amplitude of just the sub's wave. duno if that mean twice the volume though.... the intergral probably wouldnt be double...... hmmm..... what does 12voltking or dephillie have to say about this????

you're right there. I'd say the constructive interference wouldnt really make it any louder, however it could give it more clarity?

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
nah it would increse the volume if anything. think about it. the sound volume would be connected to the intergral of the sin wave produced by the amp. (intergral = area enclosed by the graph and x axis). the clarity wouldnt be represented by the graph i really doubt. maybe if the maxima and minima were much lower and smoother but i doubt any additional clarity would be heard. (i have a feeling 12voltking is going to tell me i am wrong)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
I have a feeling the 12voltking is ****ing lost as to what the hell you are talking about and that the sub should just go whereever sounds good!

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
i heard this before its not my qoute but ill stand by it,
if you put your ear next to a sub you dont hear a hell of a lot, but if you were to move 20 metres away from the sub it would crank?????
this is because low pitch sound waves are long waves, so in theory if the sub was facing the rear of the car it travels to the boot lid, bounces of back toward the cabin through the seats and into your ear, thus making a long traveling distance for the long sound waves,
The sound wave practicaly needs more room to stretch its legs to sound better, so put the sub facing the rear of the car right up against the seat.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
hmm... that shouldnt make a difference if the waves have something to bounce off.
12volt what i was saying was that a sin wave would have more volume the higher the ampitude. eg pic 1 would be higher in volume coz of the area between the x axis and graph is bigger (pic 2 shows the area i am talking about). so pic 1 has a bigger volume than pic 3.

Last edited:

PEAKN6

Reaction score
Website
www.kerrbros.co.nr
Members Ride
1982 VH SL/X 6cyl 4spd, soon to be a Mild 253
man thats lost me too. but try and invert ur sub and see what it sounds like but prolly wont make a difference, and no ofence but every sub ive heard facing into the cabin sounds like crap.and the sub is moving more when the boot is open because the air can move around and go out the boot but when it is shut the air cant go n e where and thats how u get ur THUMP and thats y the boot rattles. (i think but im prolly wrong)

Tasmaniak

Not a valid input....
Reaction score
Website
www.ranjinstallations.com.au
Members Ride
VR Stato, C180 Kompressor, Prado and Ka
garfa, now I understand what your saying! lol...I was VERY confused with the point you were trying to make..

Cameron

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY 11 'Redhot' Ute
what piont was he making???