Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

wtf!!!

juice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 92
TOok my vpv6 for a drive today and it started to smell like something was burning. Got it home and there was F***ING coolant everywhere. There has been a bit of steam i guess in the mornings coming out of the exhaust. Just had my trans coolant lines done but they seem fine..I just put a cat back system on it and since then (yesterday) its been a bit harder to start but seems to run fine. I pulled the rad cap off when it was not running and it bubble up, went out then and pulled it off again and now i cant see any coolant in the rad at all???? Anyone got any answers???
Thanks for any help in advance!!!!:bang: :bang: :bang:

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
juice said:
TOok my vpv6 for a drive today and it started to smell like something was burning. Got it home and there was F***ING coolant everywhere. There has been a bit of steam i guess in the mornings coming out of the exhaust. Just had my trans coolant lines done but they seem fine..I just put a cat back system on it and since then (yesterday) its been a bit harder to start but seems to run fine. I pulled the rad cap off when it was not running and it bubble up, went out then and pulled it off again and now i cant see any coolant in the rad at all???? Anyone got any answers???
Thanks for any help in advance!!!!:bang: :bang: :bang:

STEP 1: Find leak.
STEP 2: Fix leak.

Although if it has been running hot recently, your thermostat could be stuck closed, this can cause coolant to overflow from the plastic reservoir.

juice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 92
So u dont think its a head gasket??

PaRaDoX

Because Racecouch...
Reaction score
Members Ride
none
sounds more like a leak than a gasket,

how long was it running hot for? be careful you didnt cook the heads

could be thermostat, in the overflow tank, did you remove the cap (plastic cap)
was it pressurised??? check all your hoses might be thermostat aswell

juice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 92
I only drove for about 5-10 minutes i cant remmeber for sure if the overflow tank pressurised or not been stressn to much about the whole thing just got it regod friday! Now i think about it more the temp gauge didnt even move from normal the smell alerted me more than any thing!

nopatcla

Reaction score
Members Ride
vn executive wagon
check your radiator (overflow on s1) cap, as its very comon for them to play up

juice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 92
nah not cap ,but thanks

pandaman

Aussie Muscle Fan
Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Berlina 5.0 A4
If you've got coolant in the engine bay, it's coming from somewhere right? If it's not getting particularly hot, that suggests that it's most likely a leak. Go hunt it down! I reccomend checking hose clamps, if they're too loose they'll leak, if they're too tight they'll damage the hose, which will leak. Also, you could try running it with the bonnet up and watch (carefully) where the coolant is coming from.

juice

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp 92
Found leak its coming from the water pump(looks to be from the bottom bolt)
does this mean for sure it stuffed or can it just be lose??

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
water pumps by their very design are supposed to wear out. a badly working (loose) water pump is a very bad thing for the motor. so its either 100% or 0%.

by yuor description .. your water pump is hovering around the 0% mark .. give or take a few 0%'s.

change it mate, they're a dime a dozen and take about 20minutes to DIY.

plenty of how-to's on this forum or if youd like a hard copy step by step, your local library will naturally have a copy of a gregories repair manual for vn/vp commys and water pumps are well covered.