Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

X-Force v others and header sizes.

BERNIE_VP

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV M6
I have been doing a bit of reading on a number of old threads on this and other forums. It seems there has been a few bad experiences or unhappy customers with X-Force exhaust systems, but on the other hand there are a lot of people extremely happy with their X-Force system.

So for those of who have done an exhaust mod on their VE SS can you offer up some advice please. I am thinking of going the 3" with 1 7/8" headers, so firstly is the 1 7/8" headers to large for a standard application (no internal engine mods, cams, head work and what not) or is 1 3/4" better? Although I'd love to build a monster, this car is my daily and I drive 200k's a day for work and I don't want to stuff around with internals..... Yet.

Also, are people with X-Force systems happy with their's or do you wish that you went with a different brand and if so what brand? I'll probably hit up a cat back system first due to funds and then move on to headers and cats.

Lastly just to make sure I don't need a tune with the cat back or am I better off doing the lot in one go so I don't have to have the car re-tuned?

Cheers everyone!! :)

VE SSV M6 - Black
VP S V8 - White

Silver6

Reaction score
Members Ride
06 VE SV6
I hear the stock exhaust set up is alright. Just put some headers and some hi flow cats. Also (could be compltely wrong, probably am) but they arent too restrictive. There is one part of the pipe that crimps in so replace that part and all good.

I think X-Force is a budget exhaust so alot of people go for that which is fine if they are just after sound. but i think the more high end stuff would be better suited if you plan on doing alot of mods. Thats the way i see it anyway. By the best first then you wont have to replace it. Also maybe research what mods you want to do and what system works best with that.

Please correct me if i am wrong though. Im still learning too :D

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
Be honest with what you want out of the car. If its your daily, dont play too much with it. 2 1/2" would be plenty on a stock
6ltr.
Plenty of info, just search.

Munz

Right Foot Action
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Calais LS1 / VL RB30e daily
1 3/4 extractors are pretty much suited to all applications whether bolt-on/ Cam/ stroker or forced induction. The only difference is that you can gain more power and torque with larger primary extractors on a modified engine.

For a daily and looking at the cheaper xforce extractors look at their 'stepped' design 4-1's which start at 1 5/8 primarys stepping up to 1 3/4 then into the 3in outlet.
Pacemaker I would look at their tri y 1 3/4 which would be real torquey on a street car.

As for exhaust a dual twin 2.5 will suffice and I think the forum members with VE commo's are happy with their 'cheap and nasty' xforce systems as the issues lie with the older models

I'm sure ABBA will tune in to give his thoughts

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
In my opinion, 1 7/8 primaries, hi flow cats and dual three inch will give the deepest v8 sound. Its what I run so maybe bias.
When I had a dual 3 inch xforce cat back with no other mods, I thought it sounded great.
A mate has the 2.5 inch xforce cat back with a cold air intake, I can hear the Induction louder then his exhuast.
A 2.5 cat back with the mufflers installed is not loud at all.

Xforce on a ve is as good as any other brand and all are going to make basicly the same power.
Your not going to feel any difference in power from like to like pipes, through different brands, just sound different.

I've personally never herd a ve 8 that sounds crap, just different levels of sound.

ducker85

Reaction score
Members Ride
09 VE clubbie R8
There was a thread on here about exhaust myths.

The test car was a silver 6 speed 317 Senator. The tested every combo of exhaust and the 1 7/8 primary 4 into 1s with 3" 200cpi cats and 3" cat back made the most power before tuning.

They tested it with;
stock exhaust,
HSV front, 2 1/2 cat back
HSV headers, hi flow cats, 2 1/2 cat back
1 3/4 tri Ys hi flow cats 2 1/2 cat back
1 3/4 4 into 1s etc
And finally the 1 7/8 4 into 1s with cats n 3" back and it made the most power on a stock motor (no CAI, no tune)

The video was from a workshop called garage I think

'ssv'

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV MY9.5 M6 UTE
I agree it would have made the most power but its upto the op whether he wants max rpm power or low rpm torque.
Either way, its stuff all difference and would go the 1 7/8 route.

07GTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VEGTS BUILT BLOWN E85
id recommend going the 1-7/8 high flow cats into twin 2.5" or same but 1-3/4 tri-y instead eitherway u will keep nice bottom end torque, if u want hp above 6k rpm then go 3" all the way...

kingyinperth

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE 2012 Heron SS Thunder Ute M6
1 3/4 4 into 1 headers and 3" all the way OP is my 2cents worth...differences are minimal either way aren't they? would be nice and loud(but not insanely so)and should sound pretty damn good.1 7/8 would also be fine

Plus fitting full 3" system sets you up if you go hard with further mods down the track ..:smoking:

Ian Johnston

Reaction score
Members Ride
2015 Subaru Forester, XR6 turbo ute.
A 317 HSV is a 6.2 LS3, a bit different to a 6.0 L whatever.
The last 2 comments ssv said in post #5 are spot on.