Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

X Type Coil max temps

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Hey all,

Got a 12" ALpine X Type

Feeding it 1800wrms (2x Responce 1000w mono linked @ 2ohm) it gets a bit hot the sub, i have a infra red temp guage after crankin it for just under a hr i put the meter on the heatsink for the voice coils n it read at 81.3deg.

How much heat can this gurl take b4 she blows or limits it life..

For sum reason when the sub get hot the slave amp goes into protect n has to be reset to work again, weird, crap amps tho for hte price.

Got a couple fans 80mm with sensors that i could chuck on there to cool it down.

But just wanted to know if it sweet to sit at around that temp, it says coils will handle 220deg but thats pretty hot.

Whats ur thoughts peeps

Cheers

holdenboy

Custom Car Stereo Systems
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Wagon
i would imagine it will handle 80 degrees.....start worrying when you can smell the voice coils...hahaha.

Ive got 2 x 300wrms Response 12" subs running off a Schneider 4000wrms amp and the subs wont take more than a minute or so at full volume...stinks the car out lol.

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
interesting that only one of the amps goes into protection. Those coils will need to be at 220degrees for the former to warp and the adhesive to start melting away. But your only measuring on the surface and not actually on the coil itself. I would imagine it is getting hotter internally than your 81 degress. are you running one amp per coil?, cause if you are and one goes into protection and you dont realise, you will damage the woofer

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
yeah when i first had it runnin u could smell it after a bit, stunk bad.

This measurement was taken off the heatsink that passes thru the middle of the magnet to the coils.

My amp are linked so i have a master n slave amp, the master + runs to the subs +vc, the slaves + runs to the subs -vc then the amps are linked thru both - on the amps with sum 8guage, so basically 2 amps run as one n my slave always drops out.

untitled012.jpg

Thats a quick paint job there of how it hooked up

Sub is wired in parrelle for 2ohm load to get the most out of the amps

Thumps tho really hard now with new box, hole thing i can only just lift n put in teh boot

Last edited:

Luke0011

Car Audio Installer
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina 2005
i must be honest, i have never seen two amps wired up like that. Im not sure it should be wired up like that, unless the manual says you can. Which is probably why you have wired it up like that. And what stunk, the woofer or the amp? I would have thought you run one amp per coil, but i havnt used a lot of dual sub amps.

garfa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS
schneider 4000Wrms.....????? something is wrong!

commsirac

Banned
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Members Ride
vx
The temp at which the insulation around your coils starts to melt is the real determining factor. Once you have a short, current load increases, temp gets higher....amps overload get damaged etc.

Typically the coil insulation will be in the 250C range, and this can break down with time and continual use. This temp would only need to be reached at one point in the coil for a short to occur and the average temp of the core as measured with a infra red sensor could be much lower.

calais_cruzin

Calais_Rattling....
Reaction score
Members Ride
92 VP Calais 3.8
Yeah i was a bit spun out when i looked at the diagram in the manual, was bit scared to wire it up like that but it works.

I was playin round with it last night, un-linked them n just ran 1 amp on ea coil, still droppin out, wired it few different ways to change impedance to c if it was a stability prob, but still did same on 2,4 and 8ohm loads, so it would seem its my amps are goin into protect once they hit a certain current.

There the response digital 1000w, got a good deal on em coz i work there but still wish i went n got a alpine mono for her.

Hiphop rap she dont get that hot, sub sit around 50-60 chuck sum slipknot on n it dont take long.

The mono amps dont get that hot, hotest ive seem em at is 48, the lil 4x50 has got to 65deg