Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

xb coupe common rust areas

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
my sister friend has asked me if i was intrested in doing some work on his xb coupe
mainly just cutting out rust and welding new panels in

ive worked on many xy, xw and xb gt's at my old work but i cant quite recall where the common rust areas are on the xb's

besides the usal lower 1/4 panel behind the wheel and the back end of the seal panels
i think there was something along the firewall that usally started to rust out, can anyone else recall this??

i dont want to have to go there and not have him stripped all the areas i need so i can check what needs to be done

legendvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs berlina
they rust along the lower rear window,parcel shelf area, boot rubber channel, lip running across top of firewall/rocker panel, inner sill panels, area behind front guards (lower rear), radiator support lower, lower rear quarters (inside and out), doors, top of rear wheel arches, rear tail light panel. might be a few areas to start looking at.

VL Berlina 5speed

Apprentice Panel Pusher
Reaction score
Members Ride
Project VL Show car, VS Exec, VY Ute, YZ250F
they rust along the lower rear window, parcel shelf area, boot rubber channel,

lip running across top of firewall/rocker panel, area behind front guards (lower rear),

inner sill panels, radiator support lower, lower rear quarters (inside and out), doors, top of rear wheel arches, rear tail light panel. might be a few areas to start looking at.

cheers mate, yer i knew there was some are in the firewall that usally started to rust,
although he has had it for many years and last i looked it wasnt to bad

suppose its up to him, does he want to only do the cosmetic rust or the hidden rust aswel

that lower rad support on the early falcons was asking for it, a boxed area with no/ample drainage:bang:

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
With XA's and XB's, anywhere steel is used rusts. I don't think there is a single panel on those models that doesn't rot out severely.

eurekamad94

street kiddo
Reaction score
Members Ride
kitted, tuned, sick pantha VS
from memory the boot area, rear quater panels, and sunroof's (if fitted) rust quite badly but dont qoute me on those my knowledge is limited on coupes only worked on one a few times

VryNeat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL EXEC
from memory the boot area, rear quater panels, and sunroof's (if fitted) rust quite badly but dont qoute me on those my knowledge is limited on coupes only worked on one a few times

your knowledge is limited on everything ur 14

jules

we like the bun
Reaction score
Members Ride
pimpin
they used cork to join the panels in those things, i had an XA coupe, rust everywhere..

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
With XA's and XB's, anywhere steel is used rusts. I don't think there is a single panel on those models that doesn't rot out severely.

I was just about to reply. On a XA/B/C Anything that's not plastic or rubber. But you've allready done it :)