Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

XC Allan Moffat Special

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Here's my new money-pit...yes it's a ford, but its the good kind

XC Falcon 500 Allan Moffat Special

YEAR: 1977
ENGINE: 302 Cleveland
TRANSMISSION: 4sp Manual
ODOMETER: 279xxx k's

philthy-albums-falcon-500-picture102500-dsc00003.JPG

philthy-albums-falcon-500-picture102501-dsc00004.JPG

My grandpa bought the car brand new in 1977, and drove it daily. Last rego was in 93, and last time it was started was around 97-98.
Now that Grandpa has passed on, the family was clearing out some old cars and someone made an offer on this one. I couldn't let it go, so matched the offer and I'll be fixing it up slowly as I find the cash.

Sorry I don't have more pics, but as the car is almost 5 hours away I was more worried about trying to get it running than taking photos.

A bit of history...There were 500 AMS's built, in red, white or yellow. All came with a 302C and manual or auto box. They had 4 wheel disc brakes, 9" diff, LSD, twin exhaust, GT bonnet and paint, driving lights, 12-slot rims and a couple other bits here and there added to the standard falcon 500.

The car...is in reasonable condition considering it hasn't been touched in 10+ years. Paint is far from perfect, but its alright if you stand back. The body is pretty straight apart from the bonnet, which looks like it has blown open at some point, and the chrome bumper has a couple dents.
Interior is almost perfect apart from a bit of wear on the drivers door trim and the carpet in the footwell.
Engine wise, once we got it started it ran fine. It even idled quite smoothly. The video was taken when we had it running for about 30 seconds beforehand.
There is the usual deterioration from sitting for so long. A lot of seals and hoses will need replacing, but it doesn't look like anything major so far.

The plan...you might be able to see in the video what a mess the engine bay is. It has had aftermarket gas and aircon put on at some stage and there are wires and hoses all over the place. All that is coming out, warm up the 302, and dress up the engine bay a little.
Keeping it fairly original, I want to get it resprayed the original colour, maybe add some decent brakes, fat rear tyres (on 12-slotters if I can find some 10" ones).
Basically, I love the look of it how it sits. It just needs a bit of love to get looking brand new again.

I don't have the shed room at the moment, so I'll be making a few trips out when I have time, and hopefully I'll be able to drive it down to Melbourne around January-February when I have a better shed.
Looks like it might be slow going until then though.

First things on the to-do list, new clutch and brake master cylinder seals, tyres, fuel and radiator hoses. Then it might be drivable, and I'll find a whole new set of problems

Last edited by a moderator:

Morton

For external use only
Reaction score
Members Ride
Fairstar the Funship
Ooooh I like. I look forward to seeing this come together :) Good on you for buying it out and restoring it. Estimated time frame on the journey?

I love the colour, and you can't beat an old XC :) hehe, the auto store I work for actually delivers to Alan Moffat would you know. Lovely bloke, very well mannered. He's surrounded by Porches these days ^_^

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
It could take a while. I didn't really have the money spare to buy it in the first place, but decided it was worth doing it tight for a little while.

I'll try and have it mechanically fine and drivable by february so I can get it down here and actually spend more than a day at a time on it, then start dressing it up bit by bit from there

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
well im not an uber huge XC fan, but you gotta appreciate a good car when you see one :) just so long as you dont turn it into the maltese falcon, everything will be okay.

If I'm honest I have to say I prefer the XA/XB's, but this is the car that got me hooked on them as a kid, and it has massive family history to go with it, including being my parents wedding car. I don't think I could bring myself to do anything over the top with it. A nice neaten up will keep me very happy

HamaTime™

VIP Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
C Class AMG
Good pickup philth

Can't wait to see the progress!!!

Trayner

Fresh prince of Pakky, Gangsta
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gangsta Hundy