Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

XC Allan Moffat Special

Discussion in 'Projects' started by Philthy, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Philthy

Philthy That dent guy

Members Ride:
    3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
    Here's my new money-pit...yes it's a ford, but its the good kind

XC Falcon 500 Allan Moffat Special

YEAR: 1977
    ENGINE: 302 Cleveland
    TRANSMISSION: 4sp Manual
    ODOMETER: 279xxx k's

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

My grandpa bought the car brand new in 1977, and drove it daily. Last rego was in 93, and last time it was started was around 97-98.
    Now that Grandpa has passed on, the family was clearing out some old cars and someone made an offer on this one. I couldn't let it go, so matched the offer and I'll be fixing it up slowly as I find the cash.

Sorry I don't have more pics, but as the car is almost 5 hours away I was more worried about trying to get it running than taking photos.

A bit of history...There were 500 AMS's built, in red, white or yellow. All came with a 302C and manual or auto box. They had 4 wheel disc brakes, 9" diff, LSD, twin exhaust, GT bonnet and paint, driving lights, 12-slot rims and a couple other bits here and there added to the standard falcon 500.

The car...is in reasonable condition considering it hasn't been touched in 10+ years. Paint is far from perfect, but its alright if you stand back. The body is pretty straight apart from the bonnet, which looks like it has blown open at some point, and the chrome bumper has a couple dents.
    Interior is almost perfect apart from a bit of wear on the drivers door trim and the carpet in the footwell.
    Engine wise, once we got it started it ran fine. It even idled quite smoothly. The video was taken when we had it running for about 30 seconds beforehand.
    There is the usual deterioration from sitting for so long. A lot of seals and hoses will need replacing, but it doesn't look like anything major so far.

The plan...you might be able to see in the video what a mess the engine bay is. It has had aftermarket gas and aircon put on at some stage and there are wires and hoses all over the place. All that is coming out, warm up the 302, and dress up the engine bay a little.
    Keeping it fairly original, I want to get it resprayed the original colour, maybe add some decent brakes, fat rear tyres (on 12-slotters if I can find some 10" ones).
    Basically, I love the look of it how it sits. It just needs a bit of love to get looking brand new again.

I don't have the shed room at the moment, so I'll be making a few trips out when I have time, and hopefully I'll be able to drive it down to Melbourne around January-February when I have a better shed.
    Looks like it might be slow going until then though.

First things on the to-do list, new clutch and brake master cylinder seals, tyres, fuel and radiator hoses. Then it might be drivable, and I'll find a whole new set of problems

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2016
  2. Morton

Morton For external use only

Members Ride:
    Fairstar the Funship
    Ooooh I like. I look forward to seeing this come together :) Good on you for buying it out and restoring it. Estimated time frame on the journey?

I love the colour, and you can't beat an old XC :) hehe, the auto store I work for actually delivers to Alan Moffat would you know. Lovely bloke, very well mannered. He's surrounded by Porches these days ^_^

3. Philthy

Philthy That dent guy

Members Ride:
    3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
    It could take a while. I didn't really have the money spare to buy it in the first place, but decided it was worth doing it tight for a little while.

I'll try and have it mechanically fine and drivable by february so I can get it down here and actually spend more than a day at a time on it, then start dressing it up bit by bit from there

4. emir3008

emir3008 New Member

Members Ride:
    VS Calais
    you can pay me back for the boot if you let me see this beast in person

5. Philthy

Philthy That dent guy

Members Ride:
    3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
    Sure thing, just don't hold your breath

6. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
  7. Philthy

Philthy That dent guy

Members Ride:
    3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
    If I'm honest I have to say I prefer the XA/XB's, but this is the car that got me hooked on them as a kid, and it has massive family history to go with it, including being my parents wedding car. I don't think I could bring myself to do anything over the top with it. A nice neaten up will keep me very happy

8. HamaTime™

HamaTime™ VIP Member

Members Ride:
    VE SSV G8 & RV6 4Runner
    Good pickup philth

Can't wait to see the progress!!!

9. Trayner

Trayner Fresh prince of Pakky

Members Ride:
    Vz ss 6.0L Thunder , Vz S One Tonner
    looks good man , cant wait till its gets all rolling round the roads and that

10. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
  11. calais24/7

calais24/7 Mucca Mad Boys

Members Ride:
    VS Calais II 5L, 98 rodeo v6
    Thats nice man, im not much of a ford fan but i will be constantly checking this thread for updates

12. Philthy

Philthy That dent guy

Members Ride:
    3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
    Bought the first bits for it today. Radiator & fuel hoses and a fuel filter. Getting the brake and clutch master cylinders by the end of the week, then wheels next week. Maybe I'll be able to get it drivable when I go down next weekend. Big maybe though.

And I do say drivable, not drive-well-able, not drive-legal-able, but I might get it backed out of the shed to see if everything moves like it should.

I also discovered how few imperial tools I own.

13. bogan_vk

bogan_vk New Member

Members Ride:
    commodore
    nice pickup,not a ford fan either but gotta apreciate a classic like this..

14. ari666

ari666 250,000 hits

Members Ride:
    1966 impala, R32 GTR
    oh how i know that pain! and not only that, trying to remember retarded sizes, "hey bro, pass me that 16/45ths would ya?... actually no, its might be a 12/324ths"

and metric spanners just dont cut it :( i still find myself walking back and forth to the spanner set cos i chose the wrong size.

god damn imperial.

15. Philthy

Philthy That dent guy

Members Ride:
    3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
    I shouldn't have to do maths when I want to undo a bolt. At least I know with metric a 5 is smaller than a 9. I have to stop and think to even figure out if a 9/16" is bigger or smaller than a 5/8". Let alone trying to figure out how big that is compared to the bolt. This may take some getting used to

16. 383 hatch

383 hatch Well-Known Member

Members Ride:
    VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
    Ahhh you young whipper snappers....Imperial is easy to work out (in fact i don't even need to work it out).

Nice project by the way.

17. Verynice

Verynice Band

Members Ride:
    VS Caprice 5L
    What a beast philth. My old man had an XB in the 90s, a nice blue one, he never should have sold it :(

And yeah imperial is a mindf###, takes a super long time of usuing them to get used to whats what.

18. Reaper

Reaper Tells it like it is.

Members Ride:
    RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200 Landcruiser
    Philthy: You do not deserve to have such a car. Best you give it to me before you do any more to it :)

Reaper

(ps - Moffat and John Goss specials are two hidden gems of Australian motor history)

19. Philthy

Philthy That dent guy

Members Ride:
    3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
    You are both just jealous. :boxing:

EDIT: There is a John Goss special on this page too http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/more_specials.html that I found when reading up on the AMS's.
    If you are into old GT's at all, that page has everything you have ever needed to know. It just takes about a week to read through
    Grandpa sold his monaro (not sure what model) to buy this. He always wished he had hung onto it though. I guess thats why he ended up with so many cars lying around after that

20. Philthy

Philthy That dent guy

Members Ride:
    3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
    Right, I have 4 days off for the Melbourne Cup, so I'm putting off the trip down until then.
    I have the brake and clutch cylinders, fuel & rad hoses, oil & fuel filters, chasing up wheels/tyres, and obviously all the associated fluids...what else might I need to take down with me. The major problems I saw last time are taken care of, but is it worth taking down wheel bearings or anything like that just in case?
    At the moment I'm crossing my fingers as far as brakes go, but they looked alright when I was there. No idea if I'll run into trouble with the gearbox being left with no clutch fluid for however long.

The spark plugs, leads and dizzy are all going to need replacing at some point, but they can all wait until I get it down here and start the serious work.

This long-distance project thing is already shitting me up the wall