Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

XC Allan Moffat Special

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
what is your vacuum saying? have you stuck the timing light on every lead to make sure every plug is firing... 3 mixture screws???? it only has two venturies, i dont see what the third could be? if thats the case i really have no clue how to tune it.

i would go back to timing to start with. mixtures can be way out of whack and it will still run ok-ish. check-recheck-and rerecheck the firing order, dizzy cap, leads plugs etc.

Attachments

• mixtures.jpg
    mixtures.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 584

383 hatch

Reaction score
Members Ride
VG Ute 5.0,Torana hatch 383,WB Ute 5.0,VR stato5.0
Is the EGR all working properly? We had an XW with a 351 Clevo that we used to work on, the guy put a Holley on it and forgot to plug the EGR holes off in the manifold and it did similar things to what your car is doing...We plugged the holes and it ran perfectly. Just a thought?

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
what is your vacuum saying? have you stuck the timing light on every lead to make sure every plug is firing... 3 mixture screws???? it only has two venturies, i dont see what the third could be? if thats the case i really have no clue how to tune it.

i would go back to timing to start with. mixtures can be way out of whack and it will still run ok-ish. check-recheck-and rerecheck the firing order, dizzy cap, leads plugs etc.

I've just packed up the tools and put on the car cover, about to head back to Melbourne, so I can't check the vacuum now. It didn't sound like it was down a cylinder or anything like that. Seemed perfectly smooth while it was running. The 3rd "mixture screw" is on top, between the primary and secondaries, adjusting something to do with the metering rod height. I know its a "don't mess with this" thing, but it got messed with when I rebuilt the thing.

Is the EGR all working properly? We had an XW with a 351 Clevo that we used to work on, the guy put a Holley on it and forgot to plug the EGR holes off in the manifold and it did similar things to what your car is doing...We plugged the holes and it ran perfectly. Just a thought?

I'll double check that next time. Would be a nice easy fix

I got it idling well just under 1000rpm by bumping the timing up, then backing off the idle screw slowly, then repeating over and over.
As the idle drops the timing dropped back too, thats right though isn't it? I'm figuring a lot out as I go along, so feel free to question the basics.
Then I ran out of timing adjustment and packed up.

Oh, and I put in the new brake master cylinder & reco'd booster, put in some gearbox oil, and more new fuel hoses this weekend too. Wasn't a complete waste of time. Still a problem with the gearbox though, but it can wait for now.
Also pulled out the glovebox and found the build sheet. Thought it was a nice little touch to have. Made a few copies and it'll be going back in there for someone else to find

Last edited:

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
my mechanic said the same thing. I thought i plugged it into the vacuum port it came out of though. Could have been wrong