Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

XC Allan Moffat Special

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Bought the first bits for it today. Radiator & fuel hoses and a fuel filter. Getting the brake and clutch master cylinders by the end of the week, then wheels next week. Maybe I'll be able to get it drivable when I go down next weekend. Big maybe though.

And I do say drivable, not drive-well-able, not drive-legal-able, but I might get it backed out of the shed to see if everything moves like it should.

I also discovered how few imperial tools I own.

bogan_vk

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
nice pickup,not a ford fan either but gotta apreciate a classic like this..

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
I also discovered how few imperial tools I own.

oh how i know that pain! and not only that, trying to remember retarded sizes, "hey bro, pass me that 16/45ths would ya?... actually no, its might be a 12/324ths"

and metric spanners just dont cut it :( i still find myself walking back and forth to the spanner set cos i chose the wrong size.

god damn imperial.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
oh how i know that pain! and not only that, trying to remember retarded sizes, "hey bro, pass me that 16/45ths would ya?... actually no, its might be a 12/324ths"

and metric spanners just dont cut it :( i still find myself walking back and forth to the spanner set cos i chose the wrong size.

god damn imperial.

I shouldn't have to do maths when I want to undo a bolt. At least I know with metric a 5 is smaller than a 9. I have to stop and think to even figure out if a 9/16" is bigger or smaller than a 5/8". Let alone trying to figure out how big that is compared to the bolt. This may take some getting used to

Verynice

Band
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Caprice 5L
What a beast philth. My old man had an XB in the 90s, a nice blue one, he never should have sold it :(

And yeah imperial is a mindf###, takes a super long time of usuing them to get used to whats what.

Reaper

Tells it like it is.
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG Z71 Colorado, 120 Prado , VDJ200, Vantage
I shouldn't have to do maths when I want to undo a bolt. At least I know with metric a 5 is smaller than a 9. I have to stop and think to even figure out if a 9/16" is bigger or smaller than a 5/8". Let alone trying to figure out how big that is compared to the bolt. This may take some getting used to

Philthy: You do not deserve to have such a car. Best you give it to me before you do any more to it :)

Reaper

(ps - Moffat and John Goss specials are two hidden gems of Australian motor history)

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Philthy: You do not deserve to have such a car. Best you give it to me before you do any more to it :)

Reaper

(ps - Moffat and John Goss specials are two hidden gems of Australian motor history)

Ahhh you young whipper snappers....Imperial is easy to work out (in fact i don't even need to work it out).

Nice project by the way.

You are both just jealous. :boxing:

EDIT: There is a John Goss special on this page too http://www.aus-ford-uk.co.uk/html/more_specials.html that I found when reading up on the AMS's.
If you are into old GT's at all, that page has everything you have ever needed to know. It just takes about a week to read through
What a beast philth. My old man had an XB in the 90s, a nice blue one, he never should have sold it :(

And yeah imperial is a mindf###, takes a super long time of usuing them to get used to whats what.

Grandpa sold his monaro (not sure what model) to buy this. He always wished he had hung onto it though. I guess thats why he ended up with so many cars lying around after that

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Right, I have 4 days off for the Melbourne Cup, so I'm putting off the trip down until then.
I have the brake and clutch cylinders, fuel & rad hoses, oil & fuel filters, chasing up wheels/tyres, and obviously all the associated fluids...what else might I need to take down with me. The major problems I saw last time are taken care of, but is it worth taking down wheel bearings or anything like that just in case?
At the moment I'm crossing my fingers as far as brakes go, but they looked alright when I was there. No idea if I'll run into trouble with the gearbox being left with no clutch fluid for however long.

The spark plugs, leads and dizzy are all going to need replacing at some point, but they can all wait until I get it down here and start the serious work.

This long-distance project thing is already shitting me up the wall