Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

XC Allan Moffat Special

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR
this is going for a long trip to its new home right? i would say that overheating would be my biggest concern. then brakes, then tuning.

200 cans of carby cleaner, for brakes carby and anything else that needs to move without lube. WD40 for everything else.
upper and lower rad hoses (you mentioned you had them, but this is MY list :p) heater hoses
wiper/washer tube, for wipers and in case some of your vac lines are perished
fuel hose
oil and filter
brake fluid, pads and stop squeel
i personally would do dizzy cap/rotor button and spark plugs, but thats just me. poor plugs can help overheating, so i would take that out of the equation. plus id make sure that carby is squirting everything where is should be squirting and nowhere that it shouldnt. wouldnt want a fire from a leaky gasket.

im willing to bet that all that stuff will be unnecessary. itll prolly drive like a dream (unless it was stuffed before it was parked up)

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
this is going for a long trip to its new home right? i would say that overheating would be my biggest concern. then brakes, then tuning.

200 cans of carby cleaner, for brakes carby and anything else that needs to move without lube. WD40 for everything else.
upper and lower rad hoses (you mentioned you had them, but this is MY list :p) heater hoses
wiper/washer tube, for wipers and in case some of your vac lines are perished
fuel hose
oil and filter
brake fluid, pads and stop squeel
i personally would do dizzy cap/rotor button and spark plugs, but thats just me. poor plugs can help overheating, so i would take that out of the equation. plus id make sure that carby is squirting everything where is should be squirting and nowhere that it shouldnt. wouldnt want a fire from a leaky gasket.

im willing to bet that all that stuff will be unnecessary. itll prolly drive like a dream (unless it was stuffed before it was parked up)

For starters it has to get 30k's to its temporary in-between home, then 4.5 hours to its proper home when I find it one.
Washer hoses are on the ebay watch list, brake fluid is on the shopping list, and pads looked alright, but I'll find out on its very short test drive out of the shed Cup weekend.
Dizzy cap looks a little worn, but it is nowhere near desperately needing replacing just yet. I'll cross my fingers and leave it in until I start the fun engine work. Spark plugs looked like they had been replaced shortly before being put away.
Carby jets looked to be working fine, but I'm no expert on these old ways. Once we got out the garden hose and clamps we got the leaky fuel hoses taken care of as well, but I have those ready to replace properly now.

I'm a little worried about keeping it cool as well. The radiator was bone dry when I got to it, but it seemed to flush water through clear enough. Might grab a new thermo for it just to be safe

I think the main concern will be the wiring of all things. All the wires for the gas system were run randomly across the engine bay, and most insulation cracked away as soon as we touched it. There are a few temp fixes here and there that I need to fix up properly as well. I'll be replacing all the corroded shitty wires before trying to get too far in it. God knows how well its all fused

EDIT: Oh yeah, a good clean is on the cards as well. Right at the end of the video in the first post you see where I spotted smoke coming from under the car. Turned out a heap of grass and crap had ended up between the extractors and body at some point. Don't need any more of those surprises

Last edited:

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
so this was on gas? how long before you rip all that crap out?

:D

Yeah, dual fuel. And an aftermarket aircon messing up my engine bay. Both will be coming out as soon as I get it to Melbourne. So January or February. Only the essentials getting done before then. Besides, the aircon might be handy for the drive (hopefully) down here.
I'll get some photos next time I'm there, but it really is a mess under that bonnet.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Look forward to following your rebuild mate.

Just a thought why not Tow it on a Trailer back to Melb, will be cheaper than if it breaks down on the journey and you have to get it towed.

I don't have the room at my place just yet, so while it sits at Mums place for a few months I might as well try getting it on the road.
My boss owns a towing company as well so if it comes down to it, I can get it towed for the cost of fuel + a slab or so anyway.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Packed everything up ready to head down tomorrow morning. Hopefully by the time I get back Monday night I'll have a few decent photos or videos to share.

Oh, and I forgot to mention the most important thing I'm taking down with me.....a couple cans of mortein and a bug bomb thingo. No more redbacks living all through my car scaring the **** out of me wherever I stick my hands thank you!

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I have 3 living in the engine bay, one in the boot, one on the drivers door jamb, and one under the dash. They are just the ones I know about.

Oh, and I have orders that I have to try and get the FX started while I'm there so it can be moved into another shed. What a tough life I lead

Baphomet

Reaction score
Members Ride
VK 202 sedan
wow that car is mint!!!

love the look of these old falcons.i'd never seen one driving around where i lived before i moved to vic