Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

XC Allan Moffat Special

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Looks like I'll be going back next weekend. Planning to put all new ignition on it (plugs, leads, electronic dizzy & coil), get most of the gas crap off, and replace all brake pads and lines.

But a mate from back there just bought a HJ tonner that he needs a hand with to get on the road by the end of the year, so I might help him out for a bit and lose a bit of quality falcon time

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Turns out work has something to do with Eagle Auto Parts as well, so I'm getting the ignition gear from them for a steal. I dare say a fair few of my paychecks will end up there now that I know I can get good gear cheap there

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
mate, you could discount half of what they charge and it will still be more expensive than VPW :p

Thats the first I've seen of VPW. Looks like it's worth adding to the growing list of bookmarks
Eagle Auto quoted me around half of bursons trade price. $140 for the distributor and $40-odd for the coil at "wholesale" price, where Bursons wanted $275 exchange for the dizzy and $60something for the coil. Forgot to ask about leads when I was on the phone, but I'll go down Saturday to pick it all up and grab some then.

vk.jonno

:):):)
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vk commodore, hq one tonner, hj ute,
i got a good bosch one for the tonner cheap there (eagle)

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon

Had those ones in there already :p
I looked at the cheap ebay dizzys and decided to get something a bit better, so if this isn't any better they can keep it.
Are the Mallory/MSD etc coils any good? I've seen a few around for $50-60 bucks.

ari666

250,000 hits
Reaction score
Members Ride
1966 impala, R32 GTR

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Cheers Ari, I'll keep that in mind when I head over there

11112010052.jpg

Will come up alright with a touch of paint. I'll probably get something shiny once I start the proper engine work, but an original is good to have. Especially at the price I paid.

11112010054.jpg

Just a cheapo to make sure there are no fuel issues while I get everything sorted out. And the plugs came to me at the right price too.

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Going back tomorrow! No idea what my mate needs help with on his HJ, but hopefully I'll have time to get all the new ignition in and the carby off.

Anyone feel like giving me a quick run down on setting the timing before I start searching?

Oh, and I talked to my mechanic and even though there is some stuff he can let slide on the roady I'll have to have all the pollution gear hooked up and at least looking like it works.
That means standard air cleaner and exhaust manifold at least until it gets on the road. So probably no fun bits going into the engine for a while