Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

XC Allan Moffat Special

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Bah, it's ground to a frustrating halt while I recover financially from spending a LOT more and earning a LOT less than I planned to over christmas/new years.
I think all it needs is to have the carby put back on (and tuned), then to give the brakes an overhaul and it should be right to bring down.

The new shed roof has about 4 or 5 sheets of laserlight torn apart (i guess by the hail last year), and I want that fixed before moving the car in, but the real estate bloke hasn't got back to me about it.
Not that it matters since I can't afford the new brake gear at the moment anyway.
All very frustrating

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I'm back on the interwebs!

And also back with the car for the weekend. And can't get the stupid thing running again. After I put in the new ignition and fixed-up carby, it'll turn over but not fire. A couple times it coughed and backfired for a bit, but never ran. I assume its a timing thing, and I've stuffed up putting the distributer in having never touched one before, but I've given up for the night now.

Pub247

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ford Fairmont
Im guessing its probably 180 degrees out common mistake by people who havent played with them

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
I thought so first too, and double-checked it (finger in the hole). I think tomorrow I'll pull it all out and start again.

Also had a decent poke around under the car. Front shockers and exhaust must have been replaced not long before getting taken off the road, and there are only 1 or 2 bushes around the place looking a bit tired. Most of the front end looks pretty brand new as well.
But, looks like it's leaking gearbox oil from around the rear somewhere, and there was bugger-all left in the box

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Right, so I've got it up and running finally. It'll idle at a little over 1000rpm fine (the tacho has a dodgy wire so doesn't always work), but as soon as I adjust it down any lower it splutters, backfires and dies.
I could use another hint or 2 here

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Oh I've figured that out.
I think I might have messed with one of those "don't mess with this bit" bits while rebuilding it. The metering rods and going in and out like mad while it coughs and dies. I have a feeling I screwed the mixture right up somehow
They are meant to be a decent carby once they are setup right though

Philthy

That dent guy
Reaction score
Website
www.qbdentfree.com.au
Members Ride
3.0R Liberty, XC Falcon
Aaand...it'll still idle at 1200rpm nicely, and revs well from there.
But, it does sometimes try and take off by itself. The idle is sometimes creeping up by itself until at least 2500rpm, which is usually when I shut it off.
And I did have it down to around 1000rpm for a while before it backfired and died. Timing seems good at around 12deg, but anything more than the slightest movement either way will see it die or run off in revs.
Stupid car. 3 mixture screws, 3 idle screws and the dizzy. Whenever you fiddle with one, the rest go out of whack.

Oh, and tacho is fixed, and as soon as the idle drops a bit low, the revs bounce around from 0-1000 but just sounds like a steady decrease. Mean anything, or nothing? Sits at 13.8v across the battery running.