Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

xenon headlights in vs

GAMBLR

More trouble than u think
Reaction score
Members Ride
'04 VZ Calais LS1
I've had a mental blank. Difference between xenon and HID, if any?

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
H.I.D.

High Intensity Discharge (HID) lighting systems refer to the revolutionary lighting technology that produces brilliant light by striking an electrical arc across tungsten electrodes. It is the "high intensity discharge" generated from these electrodes that produces the "whitish-bluish" lights, and hence the name, HID lights.

This advanced lighting technology, easily distinguished by its intense beams of whitish-bluish lights, is commonly displayed by most upscale/luxury cars seen on the streets today. Evidently, these lights are rapidly becoming the norm on the streets because they are able to produce more light than conventional halogen lighting systems (from 200% to 300% more light), enabling the driver to see more clearly, while at the same time consuming only almost half the power (35w vs. 55w), making the car more economical to run. Furthermore, the life expectancy is up to 10 times longer than any halogen lighting systems, almost equaling the life span of the car, and only needs replacing in exceptional cases. These hard-to-beat combinations have made HID superior to any other conventional automotive lighting systems.

XENON

The Xenon Bulb that comes with the kit is a micro-discharge bulb filled with a mixture of noble gases including Xenon. Unlike halogen bulbs, xenon bulbs have no filaments. Xenon lighting is based upon the gas discharge principle, where an arc of light is created between two electrodes in a specially designed inner glass tube filled with metal salts and inert gases. When current is passed through the glass tube, which has the electrodes sealed into each end of it, the gas gets hot and the metals produce the light once they are heated to a point of evaporation.

While neon emits red light and mercury emits blue light, the light produced by the xenon gas used in HID headlights is not in fact BLUE but virtually WHITE in color. The light only appears blue when compared to the warmer yellowier light produced by halogen lighting systems. Unless the inner glass tube of the xenon bulb is tinted, the heat of the gas inside determines the color of the light. This spectrum of illumination is depicted in the Kelvin Color Temperature Chart.

HID lamps (also termed as Xenon Globes) require an electronic ballast and a relay, which comes built in with the AURA Ballasts, not only for ignition but also for the HID lighting system to function properly and to maintain its operation. HID lighting is typically used when high levels of light are required and when energy efficiency and/or endurance are needed.

What are the differences between Xenon Gas-Filled Halogen Globes and HID Xenon Globes?

The Xenon gas produced by the HID Xenon Globe generates approximately 2 to 3 times more light than any standard halogen globe. This xenon globe also has the ability to glow at a higher colour temperature (closer to daylight colour) giving it a distinct and aesthetically pleasing appearance.

Xenon-gas filled halogen globes do not produce more light than standard halogen globes of the same voltage. Furthermore, in most cases the xenon-gas filled halogen globes are commonly blue-coated or purple-coated that causes the colour difference (blue), where as the HID xenon globes are clear white globes of which the color emitted is dictated by the ‘K’ of that bulb.

It must be noted that the light produced by xenon-gas filled halogen globes is not comparable to HID xenon globes – no where as close. The xenon-gas filled halogen globes simply provide an economical way for your headlamps to project a tinge of blue in its light beam.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
I have had two kits in my cars. 6000k and 8000k Xenon conversion kits. They are the H4 bulb kits i.e. HID ballast, wiring, bulbs. Got them on Ebay for under $300 ea and they are still working sweet 3 years later

Ozzie

JCCC Warrnambool
Reaction score
Members Ride
Ozzie'z Supercharged VY Calais
My Hid's cost roughly $200 for high and low beam 6000K.

Arent VS commies H4?
If their H4 then you can buy them for VS

edit... just read the post above... so yes, $80 on ebay (including post) for H4 HID's

slayer208

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS-II Esteem
I know this is an ancient post, but VS commodores do run on the H4 light globes