Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

XP wont find my new RAM

gelousi

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Berlina 195i
you could have damaged it when you put it into your computer if you had the slightest electrostatic in you, or if you touched any of the pins or the i/c's on the ram. if you end up putting in another one be gentle with it and try to handle it on either end of the stick. or it just could be faulty from when you bought it

mrhotdog

What Would Jesus Do?.....
Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
yeah as i said im going back for a new one. thanks for the help ppl, ill post when i get new ram

maginoodle

Reaction score
Members Ride
vy series2 ss crewman
i ran into trouble last time i bought new ram. i ended up that my mobo would only recognise low density ram and i had bought high density ram

cheers shane

mrhotdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
update - went back to shop, he tried with only the 1GB stick in slot 1 by itself and it booted no worries, stupid comp. looks like i just cant use the 512mb stick and the 1GB stick together.
thanks for the advice

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Chances are it needs matched pairs in size if it is a dual channel MB. Best bet if it is DDR2 is to go buy another 1G stick as they are dirt cheap these days.

mrhotdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim
Chances are it needs matched pairs in size if it is a dual channel MB. Best bet if it is DDR2 is to go buy another 1G stick as they are dirt cheap these days.

nope its DDR and its not dirt cheap, the 1gb stick cost me $64, 2gb of DDR2 for my laptop cost me $52

SweetWagon

booosted
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina Wagon Supercharged
update - went back to shop, he tried with only the 1GB stick in slot 1 by itself and it booted no worries, stupid comp. looks like i just cant use the 512mb stick and the 1GB stick together.
thanks for the advice

Didn't you say you already tried that?

nope its DDR and its not dirt cheap, the 1gb stick cost me $64, 2gb of DDR2 for my laptop cost me $52

Yeah DDR is more expensive than DDR2 these days. but $64 bucks is a rip, surely you can get it cheaper than that, i recall it being in the 40's when i bought a 1GB stick of DDR last year.

mrhotdog

Reaction score
Members Ride
2003 VY S1 Acclaim

yeah but for some reason it worked for him and is still working, so ill prob jsut buy another 1gb stick sometime

Yeah DDR is more expensive than DDR2 these days. but $64 bucks is a rip, surely you can get it cheaper than that, i recall it being in the 40's when i bought a 1GB stick of DDR last year.

this is the cheapest shop i know, if anyone knows any cheaper places in adelaide id love to know

vy_storm

just another moderator...
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.users.on.net
Members Ride
VE Calais V 6L
Considering the going rate for 1G DDR at MSY is $59, thats probably fair. You did get ripped on the laptop RAM though, going for around $35 at the moment, was 40 a few months ago.

Reaction score
Members Ride
2011 VE SV6 II Commodore - Chlorophyll

Prices have gone up since then. That would have been around August last year, when the Aussie dollar was just about matching the US Dollar. Only wish that I had bought a heap of stock back then, as PC components have gone up heaps since then.