Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[Ecotec] xr6 turbo injectors vs Vt standard injectors - economy

venerableChicken

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
just for interest, the xr6 injectors are 29lbs and from looking around the vt ones are about 20lbs.

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Executive S2 - Genuine Ex P/Car
I need similar advice,
So I have a 1999 VT with an Ecotec V6

Existing Mods:
K&N High Flow Filter,
Lightly Bored Throttle Body,
MACE 25mm Plenum Spacer,
MACE 25mm LIM Insulator,
Lightly Bored, Longer, Intake Runners,
-
SS Long Tube Headers,
That Merge Into 2x 2.5” Pipes,
That Merges Into 1x 3.0” High Flow Exhaust
Including a 3” High Flow Cat & 3x Straight Through Mufflers

What should I do next to get the most efficient use of power out of a naturally aspirated Engine ?
(Without disassembling the engine block itself)

Bigger Injectors ?
High Ratio Rockers ?
Piggy Back ECU or Chip Tune ?
Bigger Throttle Body ?
Balance Shaft Delete ?
Double Row Timing Chain & Crow Cam ?
Stiffer Valve Springs ?
Higher Volume Fuel Pump ?
Thinner Head Gasket (To increase compression) ?
More Timing ?
Running 98 Octane or Higher ?
Additional or Bigger Oil Cooler ?

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Bigger Injectors ?
Bigger Throttle Body ?
Balance Shaft Delete ?
Double Row Timing Chain & Crow Cam ?
Stiffer Valve Springs ?
Higher Volume Fuel Pump ?
Thinner Head Gasket (To increase compression) ?
More Timing ?
Running 98 Octane or Higher ?
Additional or Bigger Oil Cooler ?

None of these items are a restriction N/A. A cam N/A really isn't worth it either. Timing chain and valve springs will only really be an advantage if you're properly racing the car or need to change them anyway.

The best thing to do is basic bolt ons (exhaust mainly) and a mail order tune. If you really want to splash some cash get the roller rockers and an intake, but the tune is key to actually getting the most out of any changes you make. Contact The1, Delcowizzid, or go to the PCMHacking forums. Avoid ebay chips at all costs.

Reaction score
Members Ride
99 VT Executive S2 - Genuine Ex P/Car
None of these items are a restriction N/A. A cam N/A really isn't worth it either. Timing chain and valve springs will only really be an advantage if you're properly racing the car or need to change them anyway.

The best thing to do is basic bolt ons (exhaust mainly) and a mail order tune. If you really want to splash some cash get the roller rockers and an intake, but the tune is key to actually getting the most out of any changes you make. Contact The1, Delcowizzid, or go to the PCMHacking forums. Avoid ebay chips at all costs.

I do plan on driving this engine fairly hard, I mentioned things like timing chain, balance shaft delete, and, stiffer valve springs purely for the sake of reliability. I don't expect those things to make any extra power, just to survive the power a, cam, rockers, and a tune might add.
As I understand it, cams are best on N/A engines because of the extra valve overlap they add. (apparently, valve overlap is very bad for boost) Am I right about that?
As it stands, I think I'll save up for a set of rockers, and get a chip/tune from MACE Performance. Don't worry I wouldn't touch ebay chips with a ten-foot pole.
Also, the car is an auto, I think converting it to a manual will, at the very least, make the car feel a little faster/more responsive. Is that so ?

And, I do have all the bolt ons, the intake side of the engine is as good as it can get, and the exhaust side has full fibreglass wrapped headers that go into a 3" exhaust (theoretically) capable of flowing 450kw of gasses. So now I have to start modding the inside of the engine, nothing left to do on the outside. Thanks heaps for your advice. It's very, very much appreciated. :)

delcowizzid

on holiday
Reaction score
Members Ride
в∞ѕтεכ √&
Heads cam compression headers and tuning is where all the power is.or bolt on a turbo kit and make 3x the power for cheaper

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
As I understand it, cams are best on N/A engines because of the extra valve overlap they add. (apparently, valve overlap is very bad for boost) Am I right about that?

It's not that cams are bad, it's just their return per dollar is poor for this engine, especially considering you might need to dyno tune depending on how extreme the cam is (that and Delco dyno tuners are getting thin on the ground). If you're aiming for a max power build using a cam on an Ecotec it will make the car difficult to drive as a daily also. TBH I think you'd get what you're looking for by just going to manual, they have much more get up and go with a 5 speed behind them.

Just FYI too, valve overlap is totally dependent on the cam profile. You can get ones that have heaps, or ones that have none. Don't buy into the "Stage X" cam thing, the only thing that will tell you anything are the actual cam specs.

Last edited:

Heavy VT

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vt V6
I think the spray pattern on the xr6 injectors are split to suit the multiple intake ports in the head???