Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

XU8 wreck to VT series I V6 conversion

delusr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice
I just got a XU8 wreck. The car has hit a tree just in front of the drivers door. The interior is ok front and rear bumpers and the drive line all looks ok I've done a few cars in my early teens (Im now 40) and I would like to know if the rear suspension inc diff, motor, dash, trans and engine will be ok for a swap to the VT(1999) V6. I have search these forums and read that a V6 to V8 conversion requires alot more then just the motor. Both cars are automatics.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
They will all fit up easily enough, as long as everything is straight swapped over. I'd be having a word to an engineer though before going ahead to make sure you cover everything needed for it to pass an engineers certificate.

delusr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice
Engineers certificate?

Why would you need an engineers certificate? I placed a V8 into my falcon as a kid and never need one have things changed that much. I will be doing this in Queensland.

showbags

SENIOR EL'BAGO
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Calais, BMW 135 m sport
Why would you need an engineers certificate? I placed a V8 into my falcon as a kid and never need one have things changed that much. I will be doing this in Queensland.

Series 1 VT didn't come with an LS1 option. That's why it needs engineers.

delusr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice
Ok so I need an engineers certificate, now will the drive line and rear suspension bolt straight up to the VT? If not whats missing?

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
You dont need to bother transfering all the driveline over. All you'll need to swap out is the engine, wiring loom, bcm and pcm.. at this point you can transfer over the ignition barrel if you cant be bothered having the new bcm programmed to work with your existing barrel/keys.

meady_183

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II Berlina
You dont need to bother transfering all the driveline over. All you'll need to swap out is the engine, wiring loom, bcm and pcm.. at this point you can transfer over the ignition barrel if you cant be bothered having the new bcm programmed to work with your existing barrel/keys.

i'd transfer the rear cradle, diff and tailshaft over while i was at it

Cashman_309

Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais
i'd transfer the rear cradle, diff and tailshaft over while i was at it

If the subframe has the toe links (some HSV's had them before the VXII) then transfer it over, otherwise don't bother because they're exactly the same, bar the springs.

The diff out of the XU8 will be a nice upgrade. The tailshaft.. I'm not entirely sure if you need it or not.

delusr

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice
Umm arn`t all the VT XU8`s 5litres (195kw si).

This is a 5lt XU8 from this thread I still have no idea if its possible to swap the items without modification or if an engineers certificate is required.

Last edited: