Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

YAY!! I fixed it!

traindriver

Reaction score
Members Ride
85 VK Sedan 3.3 Injected
My faith has been restored in my home mechanic ability.

My Engine Temerature Sensor for the EFI had crapped out thus making the engine flood. (and not go)

Simple fix - replaced the ETS and voila!! my baby is back in buisness.

Interesting though is the engine idle has dropped a lot with the new sensor so I have had to bring the idle back up.

May have to take her in for a "proper" tune up tho.

YAY.

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Great to hear mate :D

I'm currently inspecting my carby, hopefully when i put it back on she will idle in drive :D

Just fixed the choke so that's even better news..

It's alwasy good news to hear when something of your own doing works out right :D

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VH commodore SL wagon 253
i need to have a play around with my automatic choke. stays on way too long and the only way to fix it early is a sharp tap of the pedal to unclick it or whatever happens. its just a coil that heats up and lets go of the fast idle yeah?? any quick bits of advice to swap it over

jake87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 S1
yeah my vh was doing the exact same thing all i did was turn back the screw at the back of the carb near the throtle a bit.

jake87

Reaction score
Members Ride
VN Calais V6 S1
how does your 173 go? (power wise) i have the same engine and not many people in here have a 173. is yours ok on fuel? did u see in my Avatar the chrome air cleaner cover i made from a HR hub cap.

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
i reckon it goes pretty hard ay... recently had extractors put on which helps. has been a piece of **** on fuel as i have had a misfire problem for about 2 months and was only doing like 250KM to a tank!! that was annoying... all problems are fixed as of today (touch wood) and have filled up with fuel. i'll let you know how many k's its done when its empty

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
Yeah mines running sweet again, got the idle going nice.. with your autochokes make sure the mark is on the longest index mark, there's an arrow on the choke which should be inline of the middle line on the choke. the idle screw shouldnt be to tight or to lose, on mine the plunger takes over once the screw comes off the idle cam.

The choke shouldnt take anymore then 3mins to open or less.

The extractors will boost ay torque by 15% so quicker rpm.

brohawk

Reaction score
Members Ride
vp calais
hey guys go the 173 :p i got an 81 vh with a 173 i have extractors and 2.5" straight through a custom cold air intake, ive got 8 mm leads n ngk plugs, getting new 8mm's wednes day n fuel filter n air filter mins a lil fukucked, i have to get it tuned and **** though it drinks a bit but not to much. the only thing that i dont like is when i put my foot down a bit to hard i get a big big "choke " then laaaaaaaaaag then it kicks in and goes. is that just due to the tuning etc? wot other sort of mods have you guys done to get a bit more out of the engine.

btw jake love the air cleaner looks tuff :D

Goon

Scientific Tuning
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY CUSTOM.
I'd say its one of your screws mate, not enough or to much fuel ..

Yeah nice airclearner jake where did u get it from? an extra 4kw gain?

yobbo88

Reaction score
Members Ride
yeah sometimes mine chokes itself a little bit if i put my foot down but not too bad... im not game to play around with the carby im gonna have my dad look at it next time i see him... and yeah with the extractors im in 2nd then 3rd way quicker than before.... 15% more torque at least