Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Year long storage (at minimum)

Big_Simmo

Deep Blue Cranberry
Reaction score
Members Ride
2016 Series 2 SSV Redline Ute
I am looking for a little advise...

It looks like I will be accepting a position on an Island off the east coast for probably a minimum of 12 months. I will not sell the ute as I do plan on keeping this as long as possible, especially being the last of its kind.

I have looked into getting it professionally stored in Perth however I am now waiting on the best deal they can give me plus specifics on how they will store it.

Alternatively as I do own my house I will be getting as trusted mate to move in and live here whilst I'm away, There is the option of just setting up for storage in my garage. If I do this I will invest in jack stands and a good trickle charger however I keep finding mixed information regarding storage and fluid levels etc

Any information would be greatly appreciated.
I'm going to miss my ute whilst I am away that's for damn sure

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
I have a VF2 Ute that will be in storage for a while also. I have placed it up on jackstands, completely covered it and hooked up a trickle charger. I was advised by current and old school mechanic's, to start her up once a month and let it idle to temp and cycle through the aircon (hot/cold), windows etc. This is to keep everything lubricated and not dry out. The Ute is stored in my garage so easy enough.

snortings

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY15 SV6
Can I just ask, why the need to store it on jack stands? Just curious :)

3rspecB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF2 SSv Redline, White Manual Sedan
To avoid flat spoting the tyres.

KT11H

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SSV Redline Ute
We have house sitters, baby sitters an dog walkers. Perhaps a new profession in vehicle sitters soon as nothing beats a gentle drive to keep other moving parts lubricated such as bearings, brakes, drive shaft, gearbox, suspensions....

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
We have house sitters, baby sitters an dog walkers. Perhaps a new profession in vehicle sitters soon as nothing beats a gentle drive to keep other moving parts lubricated such as bearings, brakes, drive shaft, gearbox, suspensions....
vzymqfL.png

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars

My neighbour offers me this service every time he looks after the garden and mail while we are away.

I'm yet to fall for it.

Sandman

Challenge Accepted
Reaction score
Members Ride
Too many
I'd be keeping it on its wheels rather than its stands. Keep the weight held by the suspension where it's meant to be rather than putting a point load on the rails etc.

panhead

Reaction score
Members Ride
Cars
I'd be keeping it on its wheels rather than its stands. Keep the weight held by the suspension where it's meant to be rather than putting a point load on the rails etc.

It's interesting that you should say that as it's commonly recommended that a vehicle in long term storage should have the rims and tyres removed if you wish to preserve them.

It wouldn't affect a full chassis like on your HQ Ute but I wonder what it actually does do to modern day vehicles with a half chassis or the even weaker half chassis sedans of yesteryear.

I store my cars with the rims and tyres on, I do it for convenience sake but I've often wondered if I'm doing the right thing.

Drewie

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS (Original owner).
Why not buy a cheap set of wheels and tyres off ebay and let it sit on those, store your good tyres and wheels, even bald ones on steel rims would do the job.