Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yella terra

Marza69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vc Commodore
I brought a 186p motor on the weekend and when pulling it down i discovered the head was worked and possibly a YT, but it had no markings on the valves etc. It did have 5 fish stamped on the back of it tho which had me baffled and after 48hrs of research and people giving me **** on Facebook i found out the history about the fish stamps thanks to a old yella terra Forman that work's at a cylinder shop in qld. Just thought i share this bit of history, and seeing if anyone else has come across this before on there YT heads

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201203-073155.jpg
    Screenshot_20201203-073155.jpg
    197.1 KB · Views: 257

krusing

Well-Known Member, Possibly for the wrong reasons
Reaction score
Members Ride
2002 VY L67 Calais Sedan, 2012 VE L77 Calais Wagon
Thanks for sharing,
great bit of History,
I did often wonder where they got the Heads originally from, to modify,
As I didnt think they made them, because they supplied so many different types for different models, and the tooling to produce them would of been big $'s,
Where they did always recommend modifying the original cast iron head,
But if they did a change-over, they usually requested the old head back [for a discount on price], most likely to modify it and then sell it on again.
I think they were in Morrabbin in the 70's and 80's
Where they are now in Braeside.

Do you have a photo of the 5 fish stamping ?

Last edited:

Marza69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vc Commodore
Thanks for sharing,
great bit of History,
I did often wonder where they got the Heads originally from, to modify,
As I didnt think they made them, because they supplied so many different types for different models, and the tooling to produce them would of been big $'s,
Were hey did always recommend modifying the original cast iron head,
But if they did a change-over, they usually requested the old head back [for a discount on price], most likely to modify it and then sell it on again.

Do you have a photo of the 5 fish stamping ?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20201202-170057.jpg
    Screenshot_20201202-170057.jpg
    438.4 KB · Views: 280

Marza69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vc Commodore
Great bit of history, lot of hrs would have gone into these old heads. Nowadays they just cast them

LXCHEV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais, VS Berlina & LX Torana
Anyone who loves a bit of Aussie history - do yourself a favour and have a read of Dave Bennett's book - it's called "Dyno Dave - The Yella Terra Story". It's an unbelievably good bit of reading.

Marza69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vc Commodore
Anyone who loves a bit of Aussie history - do yourself a favour and have a read of Dave Bennett's book - it's called "Dyno Dave - The Yella Terra Story". It's an unbelievably good bit of reading.
I just looked it up then and read a bit of it and will definitely get it and have a look, i just got a 173 high comp head built by a retired fella called gary brownie, he owned street and strip gold coast years ago and there is some history in his shed car's motors pictures etc.
When he built this particular head he done a minimal rough port massive valves and chev heavy springs. He was telling me that some people over port heads these day's and with the rough port it creates a tunnel effect. I've got it on my blue 202 and it's some weapon

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
My heads are in getting ported, just some mild work and a bowl job. I heard from the machinist a customer of his did a small amount of work and got some noticeable gains. Bloke said he was surprised that just tidying things up and a bowl job would make much difference. I'm hoping for 16-20kw, maybe more, as I have valve reshape and 10thou, as well as mild porting.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
IIC, the old Red heads are able to take bigger valves, that tends to get better gains that porting does. Also IIC I'm fairly confident Yella Terra did fit bigger valves to Holden heads? Buick I was told are too close together, so can't be done. I would have coughed up the extra few $100 to have it done if it could be done.

Marza69

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden vc Commodore
IIC, the old Red heads are able to take bigger valves, that tends to get better gains that porting does. Also IIC I'm fairly confident Yella Terra did fit bigger valves to Holden heads? Buick I was told are too close together, so can't be done. I would have coughed up the extra few $100 to have it done if it could be done.
I have both 9 port red heads high comp, i was told you will get the best flow out of them

shane_3800

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr commo
Tony Knight was the first guy to make more power in the HQ race class about 4 years ago if I remember correctly. I believe he made 7 extra HP on the engine dyno.
He is the king of heads.