Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yellow stickers and Cammed HSV

Ronny007

Reaction score
Members Ride
ve hsv gts
I got the exhaust and cam done on my GTS ,now I am told I need to get a permit from the licensing department so I dont get a yellow sticker.So I am worried if I take it to the licensing centre they might say ,no mate you cant drive it on the roads like this.And I will be $7000 in the whole.
VCM 21 and 3inch exhaust..the dyno shows 427hp.
So my question is has anyone had this experience and what happened ?

Darcon666

Evil is always around you
Reaction score
Website
www.gfy.com
Members Ride
Your Mother
Sorry but WHO told you "....I am told I need to get a permit from the licensing department so I dont get a yellow sticker..."

Benboy

Reaction score
Members Ride
2007 SVZ Wagon
Did you do any checks with the Licencing Department in your State prior to undertaking modifications on your vehicle ? Any modifications to the Pollution Control - for example - are illegal. If the vehicle was not provided by the manufacturer with modified exhaust, advanced Cam etc you do run the chance of having the vehicle defected as un-roadworthy. CHECK WITH AUTHORITIES.

someguy360

Reaction score
Members Ride
Various
Pretty sure in most places in Aus a cam will make the vehicle defectable as you have altered the vehicles emissions from factory.

In SA any change to Cam/Intake manifolds etc are illegal due to emissions regulations.

I highly doubt that there is a "permit" you can get to make it legal. Just drive it, if you get done then put it back to stock and clear it like everyone else. You may never get done, I know plenty of people with cammed VE's that have been that way for years with no hassles, just don't drive like a numpty and draw attention to yourself.

Sean880

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 ser 2 and 911 Porsche Carrera S 997
I got the exhaust and cam done on my GTS ,now I am told I need to get a permit from the licensing department so I dont get a yellow sticker.So I am worried if I take it to the licensing centre they might say ,no mate you cant drive it on the roads like this.And I will be $7000 in the whole.

You can drive your car around until you get a compliance notice(the yellow sticker) if you are checked over by the WA police (or you are required to present the vehicle for an official inspection) and they consider your modified vehicle does not comply and you have no modification approvals.

If you want to modify the engine and exhaust, the Western Aust Transport Department applies these rules and the obligation is on you to ensure your car complies and that you have the necessary approvals in cases where these approvals are required.......................................... ...........................

Modify a light vehicle
https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads.../pdf/NCOP3_Section_LA_Engine_01jan2011_v3.pdf
Yellow sticker (compliance notice)

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1
Its nice to hve a permit, but 85% of people who get a cam and exhaust, don't bother until the day they get a sticker. Drive sensible and keep the exhaust reasonably under the radar ie not stupid loud, then you should be fine cops look mainly at WHO'S DRIVING THE CAR, a 19 yo in a modified HSV/Holden then id seriously look at permits. If in the event you do get pulled up for a RBT or speeding ect, make sure you turn the car off straight away, and play the game. I wouldn't loose any sleep about not having a permit. How many car dealers in WA selling cars with SC and Cams ect and not permitted at all about 98%. There is abit of a loop hole, whereas performance shops do modifications with sending the customer on there merry way with in essence a illegally modified car, I personally think the customer should be made aware of the consequences of such upgrades ie cam mainly in the event of a licensing issue. A full exhaust system and Intake are easy to get permits as long as its under legal noise. The big DRAMAS can be aftermarket camshafts with lots of overlap nearly impossible to pass emmissions.. It becomes legal once its passed gas test, engineers report and finally a pits examination.

XUV

Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV XUV & Raised Cross 8 Trayback

I rekon for 7k the mob that did it should have done the permit for you

VESSVBLACK

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS Series 1

Who told you , you have to have a permit? You don't unless your asked by the police for it or take it over the pits for some reason! No permit could void your insurance in the evnt of a smash if they go probing into the car, highly unlikely.
Who did the cam and exhaust? VCM 21 should idle reasonably sedate so if any thing , make sure the car isn't over loud. Load and loads of cammed cars in perth with no permits, if your that worried your first point of call is speak to the shop who did the cam,
Process
Download forms off DPI site.
Modify my vehical, fill in the form and send to DPI they in turn will send you approval. Contact a engineer, who will charge $400-700 for advice and a report. He will take photos, do a examination. You will then have to get a gas test , this costs about $150 a pop , to pass the test the acr will need to be detuned and std cats put on to pass...all up your going be f@@ked around, running back and forward , getting that and this done, looking over 2 gran easy.

vc commodore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VC, VH and VY
Changing the cam can alter the emissions that the car was approved to put out, therefore deem the car unroadworthy....An unroadworthy car involved in an accident will null and void any insurance claim.

To make the car roadworthy again, it will require specific approval from the rego authority in your state, specifying the aftermarket cam fitted meets the required emission levels for that specific year motor

That being said, there are plenty of "cammed up" motors in cars out there that have done without approval and haven't been picked up by the police or an insurance company if a claim has been made.

Exhaust system...There is a specific DB level they must adhere to...Unfortunately, I'm un to sure what it is....Once again, it's the same principal as the cam, with insurance and roadworthiness

So at the end of the day, it's your choice whether you leave it as is, or go through the correct channels to have it approved

SnowDoggyDogg

2ltr? = Only milk & juice
Reaction score
Members Ride
Gen F GTS
Pretty sure it's 85dB for the exhaust.