Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yellowish stuff around thermo housing??

aussie bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Exec S2
Hey everyone I put in a new radiator, hi flow thermostat and gasket in my vs v6 about a week ago. It's been running a bit hotter than it used to be just wondering if anyone knows why I have this yellowish stuff coming out of the thermo housing.
Had a search an someone said it could be the air con seals??

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Aircon seals have nothing to do with the cooling system....can you describe it a bit more as the way I understand it there is yellowish stuff coming fron the thermostat housing gasket???
Are you losing coolant?

aussie bob

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vs Exec S2
im not losing any coolant at all been keeping an eye on it, radiator is full and so is the reserve, ive just cleaned it now so will check tomorrow after work, here are some pics

Attachments

• photo(1).JPG
    photo(1).JPG
    231.2 KB · Views: 363
  • photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    153.1 KB · Views: 350

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Probably just some sort of sealant from the thermostat cover gasket being squeezed out or dried coolant which can look yellowish. What makes you think it is running hotter? - usually the high flow thermostats open at a lower temperature. On mine the gauge always sits on 1/3 unless stopped at the lights.

F

fattypomba

Hi,
Real stupid question but did you put the thermostate in the correct way???
The thermostate was deffinately leaking/weeping coolant did you use gasket goo on the gasket????,,as they are meant to be put on dry.
I learnt this the hard way. I did my work car VS and my daughters VS and I used just a touch of gasket goo on the one side as the other side is the sticky side,,,and they both did what yours is doing.
Holdens told me to put it on dry. I gave both cars a REAL good clean( Thermostate housing) and refitted a new dry gasket and they both now work fine.

Cheap6

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Exec
It's definitely coolant, whether that's from a leak or left from the bleed screw being opened. With a small coolant leak (weep) it may take some time before sufficient coolant leaks out to be noticeable in the level of the reservoir bottle.