Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

yep..another afm mystery..

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
hi all,got home from work tonight,got out to open the garage and noticed that the usual valve train chatter (amplified somewhat with big headers) was acting a little strange. the noise seemed to be coming and going as in making the usual racket -no louder than normal i might add- tapering off then coming back again. idle is fine,oil is fine though due for a service in the next week.afm was switched off 2 yrs ago with the tune. doesn't sound like a delaminated lifter,i was thinking along the lines of the oil relief valve maybe? ive read on here and other forums that they are known to stick. anybody have any ideas? a bit of verbal ammo when i go to the dealer next week would be good
thx in advance

maxmod

Reaction score
Members Ride
Ve Calais V Wagon
It sounds fine you will know when a lifter has stuck it makes a horrible racket it just sounds like someone is taking a small hammer to the bottom of the exhaust collector. It could be one beginning to fail though but Holden being Holden won't admit that nor will they fix it.

bladerunner

"needs a bit'a nitrous"
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS UTE & a 71' deltek rockhopper
yeah thanks mate.yes i know that sound, a mate got me to listen to his and thats basicly what it sounded like ..bloody scary at that!.. and what i suggested to him,which it was,one of the afm crappers.i'm gonna hit my local up with it anyway as i'm out of warranty in jan and there are revised lifters available but in reality from my experiances -4 LS powered cars, gm lifters of all varieties are rubbish anyway,i was gonig to swap out the afm rubbish eventually. i havent noticed that behavior with these lifters before which is why i asked.

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Try and get as much fixed under warranty before it runs out!!

Make sure you let us know what the problem is, i get the feeling this might happen to others...

Aussie Willy

Coal Miner
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Redline 2012
Blade, have you changed cam? and are the lifters factory still?
Also, you mention the afm was disconected some time ago, all the afm bussiness is still in your heads, im not sure how its "turned off" unless you pull the heads off.
All my afm has been removed and morell lifters used as I replaced cam. I have been told the original lifters can turn 90 degrees and that meens they no longer roll but rub.

Hope this info helps.