Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yet another HU installation help thread.

wednesdayschild

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim series II
Hey all. I've done as much online research as I can into installing head units into vs style commies. I still, however, feel fairly confident in taking out the stock HU that my vs acclaim has and installing my new after-market pioneer, apart from a few (major) things...

These questions may be dumb but keep in mind i'm very noobish in the electrical side of things.

Ok, so i've purchased an ISO connector designed to suit my car. Do I need to cut off the two plugs it has and solder the wires from the pioneer onto the wires of the ISO harness I purchased? Is it simply a matter of colour coding them?

Also, what do i do with the earth wire from the pioneer? Do all the wires from the pioneer need to be soldered up to the ISO harness?

I'm not going to jump into doing this until i'm certain of all the steps I need to perform. It's not that I don't want to fork out the money to have it professionally installed, I just want to know how to do it myself cos i think it would be really good to know. Any help would be great.

If there is anything else I haven't said just tell me ;) Thanks in advance.

Oh, and by the way I don't don't have an amp, sub or anything. and the speakers are all stock for the minute. still waiting for new ones to mail.

DannyboyDS

Just hand me the pliers.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
your pionere came with a loom, you just bought and ISO loom, the ISO loom wires are all labeled, match the labeled iso wires with the pioner loom wires solder and heat shrink tube them all.

it is not always as easy as color coding, open the pioner manual and find out which colored wire is what and match it to the iso labels, there is tiny writing on the wires for that ISO loom.

its the most basic installation, but for best results, rip the factory wiring out and re-wire the whole lot, thats what I did and ive never been happier, it also depends on what kind of system you want and your skill level though.

wednesdayschild

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim series II
Yeah, i knew I had to connect the new head unit to the ISO harness I purchased, I still however need to know what I do with the earth wire that comes out of the pioneer. Do I need to earth it myself or do I just solder it onto the earthing wire of the ISO loom? Sorry, i guess I'm not good at phrasing the question i'm trying to ask...

I don't want to mess with the original wiring if I don't have to.

Please help!

klaw81

Reaction score
Members Ride
VYII SV8
There has to be an earth in the factory loom, and I assume your ISO adapter loom will have one too. You can just wire your head unit into that - the earth used by the factory head unit should be perfectly adequate for your install.

If you really want to, you can run your head unit's earth wire to a bolt on the transmission tunnel (which should be an excellent earth, but check it first) but there's really no need for that.