Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yet another SAFETY MODE issue

nml1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi guys,

Long time observer, first time poster...I generally dont post on forums but am pretty desperate to have the 'safety mode - reduced power' issue on my VE SV6 06 resolved.

Around 2 1/2 weeks ago, the safety mode - reduced power - messages appeared after being on the road for a good 4-5 minutes. Leading up to this error message, the car felt like it was spuddering, imagine a caricature of an old car struggling to move...emergency lights on, crawled for a good 100 metres before i could pull over.

fast fwd, 3 hrs, RACV came, the bloke had no idea what was happening, tried turning car on and off several times, 20 mins later it turns on and i drive home. Next day i drove 35km's to work and back, all fine. On saturday morning, on my way to mechanics, same issue happened after 5 mins in the car, eventually got it towed to the mechanics.

codes were reset, car was serviced (was due for one) - check engine lights etc all disappeared...fast fwd 1 day, standard error lights popped up again. and by day 2, safety mode etc. i had to pull over 30 seconds from my house, and had to get it towed a second time to the mechanics...

Took it to mechanics and error codes for; air sensor along with throttle body. I ordered a new air sensor got it installed and was told everything was okay...70km's in, same issues; check engine etc....F*CK!!

Ive blabbed on quite abit, so ill provide a summary hoping a genius out there can help me:

- SPECS; CAI (airhammer, installed at 64,000km now im on 92,000km), ultra low king springs
- error messages; ESP, check engine followed by safety mode. When check engine comes on, car spudders abit...
- Attempts so far; wheel allignment, replaced existing MAF sensor with brand new original BOSCH MAF sensor
- safety mode has popped up 3 times, been towed twice
- scouring this forum people have identified; ABS sensors, wheel allignment, air flow sensors, oil in the hose that connects the vents
- error codes; air sensor and throttle body
- when new air sensor installed, no throttle body error code - which is makin me suspect its the fricken airhammer

kizza50

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX acclaim S2
Ultra low springs to low, causing wheel speed sensors to fail??? Have heard that If you to past superlows, And also try giving your throttle body a good clean

evotime

Reaction score
Members Ride
not yet

Last edited:

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
The exact trouble codes codes are always the key to these kinds of problems.
Do you have the EXACT trouble codes (There are close to a thousand of these codes for the VE, and the code usually has some further information than just roughly the sensor that is at fault. (Such as short circuit, open circuit, out of range, etc, etc)....

You mention a throttle body code ? Have you tried cleaning the throttle body and making sure that it doesnt stick ???
(Usually with aftermarket intakes and filters, the oil from the filter can coat over the MAF (Which shouldn't be a problem because t has been replaced) and build up oil around the throttle body mechanism.
The throttle body is a closed loop device, I.E. it is monitored by the ECM, and it has a sensor that measures the plate movement to ensure that the throttle body motor is placing the plate in the correct position.
If the plate sticks, or doesnt move to the correct position when requested, then the ECM will go in to reduced power mode.
(The reason for this is that there is a failsafe incase the throttle body sticks in a open position, and cannot close)....

The EXACT trouble codes for the ABS should also give you a clue as to what is happening with the Traction control system.
It could be a single sensor is out of range (And may need a clean), or multiple sensors are out of range (Tire / wheel diameters are much larger / smaller than what has been programmed in the system).

You best bet is to invest in a cheapy ELM327 Trouble code scanner from eBay (For around $20), and keep an eye on these trouble codes.

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Oh and I just want to point out, I would also recommend you try what one_and_only is suggesting,
I.E. remove the Airhammer, clear any codes, and test. (Eliminate the airhammer and try and return the car to stock as much as possible).

I think Evotime is on to something here as well.
I know the fuel pumps go on VT-VX models if you run very low on fuel, and the pump starts to suck up the fuel tank dregs and dies.
(My boss has gone through 3 fuel pumps in less than 2 years on his VT, because he ALWAYS lets the fuel run low in the tank)...
I don't know if VEs are any different to the VT-VX models, but it could be very possible that this may be the same situation.
You mechanic should have a fuel pressure gauge handy, and it might be very worthwhile checking this out !!!

nml1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hi Guys,

You blokes are amazing...I have asked for my mechanic to order an original air induction pipe to go with the stock air intake box...it should arrive on Monday... similarly a request has been made to isolate and provide me with all the codes, as opposed to telling me there are error codes and clearing them. Ill ask them to look into cleaning the throttle body as well...I can do half of this myself, but am so afraid of touching it, in case i exacerbate the problem.

Zerone and evotime, you guys have shed light on a new issue; traction and fuel pressure gauge...ill also run these two additional matters up upon my next visit...just tad frustrated that i am the one thats directing the mechanics...

Thanks heaps fellas, will keep you all posted.

nml1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Fit a fuel pressure gauge and drive until it stops. then you'll either eliminate or find the fault

Can you elaborate? Not sure what the fuel pressure gauge would do? So if it reads 20 psi or so, then its the fuel pump?

evotime

Reaction score
Members Ride
not yet
[....................

Last edited:

nml1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
PHP:
When fuel pumps die the vacuume from the engine is sometimes enough to draw enough fuel to make it cough and splutter.

You said yours goes then dies, connect the gauge start note the pressure when running normally, then when your car conks out see what the pressure is if it's normal it's not the fuel pump.

if it is a fuel pump issue, do you know much it approximately costs to fix? Whilst i am still in the process of isolating the issue, i definitely think you are on to something....

thanks heaps for the insight mate.