Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yet another SAFETY MODE issue

evotime

Reaction score
Members Ride
not yet
[///////////

Last edited:

Zerone_V

Reaction score
Members Ride
Lexus IS350 (SL)
Every once in a while, there are some truly valuable gold nuggets of information on these forums...
The above post is one of those rare times !!!!

Thankyou evotime !!!!!

evotime

Reaction score
Members Ride
not yet

Last edited:

carcollector

Reaction score
Members Ride
WM Caprice, VZ SS Crewman, ZB Calais V,VE CalaisV
My money's on your throttle body being sticky, or faulty, or as others have said, maybe a fuel pump or fuel blockage. There probably also isn't anything wrong with your ESP or traction control - these systems are turned off by the ECU if it doesn't trust the engine sensors such as the throttle body/throttle position sensor, as it uses readings from these to calculate responses for ESP and traction control. A new throttle body is around $400 from Holden from memory, and is easy to fit yourself. Given it's a 2006 , I assume it's done a few km? Mine's a 2006 with lots of KM. The TPS started to fail, causing the same symptoms, although much less severity - I could always drive it home. Error codes pointed to throttle body, and ESP and traction would turn off. Error code was P0121 from memory, although 120 to 123 all deal with throttle position sensor faults. I ordered a new throttle body unit which comes with the throttle position sensors attached, fitted it in about 15 minutes, and problem solved. I did try cleaning it first, but this didn't help in my case, although I've heard that it's helped in other cases.

evotime is spot on with getting used to listening to your fuel pump. It is possible to pick when a fuel pump is on the way out by the noise it makes, or even if you have a low pressure problem by how hard it is working on ignition on or startup.

Good luck.

nml1988

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6
Hey guys,

Update is as follows:

- I requested the throttle body to be cleaned, fuel pump and pressure to be checked and had the cold air intake system replaced with an original holden air box

Ive had the car for a week, and so far no ESP/Check engine or safety mode issues...fingers crossed issues are resolved...

In my opinion what i think the issue waS? Definitely the Cold Air Intake system....i had the airhammer installed a year ago....thinking back, i do recall seeing an instruction sheet to replace the filter after 30,000km...which ive clocked up....the position of the filter is quite close to the ground so during wet weather it may have been soaked...im not surprised if its due to this very reason...

Thanks heaps for the help guys...

S.D.M.F

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Clubsport R8
He used his reading eyes and read the previous posts. :nutkick: 3 Years Ago.

Last edited:

VS_Pete

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE II SV6 MY12 SPORTWAGON
Post No.2..........................