Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yet another VY fuel filter question :(

mark14787

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Sv6
OK first off let me say, great site, been lurching in the shadows for a long time before signing up......lots of great how too's and tips... esp for someone who has never worked on Holden before coming to Oz.

Long story short I bought a VY Sv6 and it was due for service.....everything went ok until fuel filter..... I managed to get it off no problems really.....just push and pull :)

but......now when i was putting the new one on I just couldnt seem to get it to lock on, just didnt seem tight at all :( after trying and trying i used the brute force method :boxing: .... it didnt go so well :hmmm: .....i broke the clips on the outward line :hmmm:

I got a spare clip with the filter and swapped it into the line,,,,,but it is smaller than the original clip :/ It will clip onto the filter but its just so loose, i can slip it back off again without any real force....

I think I have shagged the other end too because it just doesnt seem to want to hold onto the filter at all..... :(

Does anyone have any tips on how to get the bloody thing back on?

Also my local holden dealer just told me they cant order parts because they are in money problems....i live in a small country town so next dealer aint exactly local.....anywhere online that sells them? i have tryed ebay but no luck

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
Couple of points to ponder.

VY's weren't available as an SV6 - I assume you mean an "S"?

Those clips can be a mongrel and are not sold separately. I dunno what bits you got with your filter but I've never seen replacement clips provided. The factory fittings are part of the complete fuel line. To repair them they way they should be done means replacing the affected fuel line (in your case both lines, from the tank to filter, and filter to engine.) Bastard of a job, though not expensive if you do it yourself.

You can replace the fittings by cutting them off and replacing them with brass fuel line connectors - the type with a serrated fitting to push into the fuel line and a flanged end to fit into a hose at the filter end. Fit proper quality fuel line clamps and you should be ok.

I buggered my fittings years ago and replaced them as per above. The most difficult bit is getting the fitting into the hose to the tank - it's a hard plastic with a thin rubber sleeve and it's awkward to get enough force to be able to push the fitting into the hose. The other end, to the engine, is a heat-shrunk plastic that you can force the fitting into without too much difficulty.

Sorry, no pics but there are other threads with "how-to's" and pics somewhere on the forum.

mark14787

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Sv6
Well the car was manufactured in late 04, it has SV6 badges on the bootlid but I guess anyone could of changed them. I havent dealt much with Holdens or Commodores, I dont even know anyone else who owns one, small country town filled with cruisers and hiluxs.....i dare to be different lol

Maybe this is why they have given me the wrong sway bar links and oil filter at the auto shop if i have been saying vy sv6 lol

I got a Valvoline fuel filter, it came with the little inner grab clip....the one with the four little clamps on it. It also came attached with 2 other sorts of clips already attached around the metal rings on the filter pipes.....but i assume they are just for a different car/setup??

As per "how to's" yeah i checked the forum and seen but its all about getting them off, getting them off didnt seem a problem, getting them on seems to be the challenge :(

Sounds like i could be pretty screwed then :(

Calaber

Nil Bastardo Carborundum
Reaction score
Members Ride
CG Captiva 5 Series 2
If your car was built in late 04,it's a VZ, not a VY. Big difference, particularly with the engine. It would be an SV6 after all. Even things like the fuel filter set up were changed which would explain why your kit had those extra parts. Likewise, sway bar links were also changed for the VZ and VY ones won't fit. Your links have a ball joint at each end, the VY had a ball joint on the lower end and rubber bushes on the top.

However, there is a thread showing how to overcome the problem with buggered clips, but I'm not sure what the thread was called. It had pics and is just what you need so keep searching and good luck.