Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Yet another VZ starting issue

Flash Gordon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Hi All, long time lurker, first time poster, so I'm hoping that some VZ guru will be able to help me out with an annoying intermittent starting issue. First off I found a post from last year that details a similar problem but there wasn't any detail on the final solution so I thought I would try my luck.

I go to start my 2005 VZ Storm ute, insert the key, red lock light goes out and other "normal indicator lights remain lit (handbrake, ARS, etc). Turn key and starter doesn't turn. With ignition left on computer screen continues running its diagnostics and first error message that flashes up is "very low fuel", then "service vehicle soon" then "fuel guage error - contact dealer". Locking, unlocking, depressing the clutch pedal numerous times and you still get the same result. Disconnect the positive terminal on the battery, leave it disconnected for 5 minutes then re-connect battery and she fires right up and fuel guage reads as per normal (half a tank in today's instances). Happened to me five times today and same process cured it all five times. Battery is less than 3 months old and everything else in terms of performance etc is normal.

Anyone been able to cure this problem ?

Fu Manchu

We’ll get together. Have a few laughs.
Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Crewman, VZ Cross 8, & ya mum.

Joelene

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Commodore
Hi All, long time lurker, first time poster, so I'm hoping that some VZ guru will be able to help me out with an annoying intermittent starting issue. First off I found a post from last year that details a similar problem but there wasn't any detail on the final solution so I thought I would try my luck.

I go to start my 2005 VZ Storm ute, insert the key, red lock light goes out and other "normal indicator lights remain lit (handbrake, ARS, etc). Turn key and starter doesn't turn. With ignition left on computer screen continues running its diagnostics and first error message that flashes up is "very low fuel", then "service vehicle soon" then "fuel guage error - contact dealer". Locking, unlocking, depressing the clutch pedal numerous times and you still get the same result. Disconnect the positive terminal on the battery, leave it disconnected for 5 minutes then re-connect battery and she fires right up and fuel guage reads as per normal (half a tank in today's instances). Happened to me five times today and same process cured it all five times. Battery is less than 3 months old and everything else in terms of performance etc is normal.

ANSWER..........

Just finished fixing a starting problem with a VZ Sv6 190kW with fitting a brand new genuine starter motor. Random intermittant starting.

It’s fairly easy to over think these problems. Go back to basics.

Don’t worry too much about BCMs and the like. If it starts one day and not the next it is not software or BCM.

Most likely cause for failing to turn engine over is starter motor. The pull in solenoid on the starter is dicky or the brushes are worn on the commutator. Either will provide a start one day and a clicking the next. Are you getting a click or clicking noise when you turn to start? If so it's starter motor!

Often you get out of car, lock car, open car or do other things which provides enough movement on the car to rectify the problem temporarily purely because the starter motor has been vibrated just enough….

A new Starter if you are friendly with Holden will cost around $280. $320 to $380 if not. It will fit though. Double that for them to fit it.

Ignore your warning lights at this stage. That’s a bi product of not starting.

The only other issue I encountered with random instrument displays on VT and VX but not VZ yet is the voltage regulator going faulty on the alternator but that would not stop your car from starting. I go 98% the starter motor is cactus.

They are a bit tricky the first time. You need torx sockets. 2 bolts on the starter motor. Around E14 size I think…Repco has a set for $20. It's 3/8 drive so you might need the 3/8 drive and ratchet from repco too. Another $20.

Take the starter motor heat shield off first under hood under exhaust manifold LHS of engine. One allande key screw and it unclips from starter motor. Just pull it towards you under the exhaust manifold and take it out. There is also the heat shield over the exhaust with three normal bolts. Withdraw starter motor, disconnect main cable and pull off connector. Reverse to install takes 20 mins to install once you work it out.

Take the positive battery lead off first and whatever you do never turn the ignition on until you finish the instal cos these cars tend to flag stuff in the computer that only Holden can clear with their tech 2 instrument.

You need to do most of the work from above but jack the car up and get underneath for one of two bolts on the starter motor. Use stands AND jack. Never get underneath with just stands or just jack!

Last edited:

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
ECU on the side of engine or a simple earth problem under your battery area.

Flash Gordon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
Appreciate the additional input, cheers !
I found a crack in the positive battery terminal clamp that was preventing it from clamping 100%. I've replaced the clamp and time will tell whether this has made any difference.

Trevor loves holden.

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
I found a crack in the positive battery terminal clamp that was preventing it from clamping 100%. I've replaced the clamp and time will tell whether this has made any difference.
It will.

rambunctious

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Executive Wagon

Clean the battery terminals and the clamps with emery cloth/sandpaper/battery terminal cleaning tool.

Flash Gordon

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Ute
ANSWER..........

Just finished fixing a starting problem with a VZ Sv6 190kW with fitting a brand new genuine starter motor. Random intermittant starting.

It’s fairly easy to over think these problems. Go back to basics.

Don’t worry too much about BCMs and the like. If it starts one day and not the next it is not software or BCM.

Most likely cause for failing to turn engine over is starter motor. The pull in solenoid on the starter is dicky or the brushes are worn on the commutator. Either will provide a start one day and a clicking the next. Are you getting a click or clicking noise when you turn to start? If so it's starter motor!

Often you get out of car, lock car, open car or do other things which provides enough movement on the car to rectify the problem temporarily purely because the starter motor has been vibrated just enough….

A new Starter if you are friendly with Holden will cost around $280. $320 to $380 if not. It will fit though. Double that for them to fit it.

Ignore your warning lights at this stage. That’s a bi product of not starting.

The only other issue I encountered with random instrument displays on VT and VX but not VZ yet is the voltage regulator going faulty on the alternator but that would not stop your car from starting. I go 98% the starter motor is cactus.

They are a bit tricky the first time. You need torx sockets. 2 bolts on the starter motor. Around E14 size I think…Repco has a set for $20. It's 3/8 drive so you might need the 3/8 drive and ratchet from repco too. Another $20.

Take the starter motor heat shield off first under hood under exhaust manifold LHS of engine. One allande key screw and it unclips from starter motor. Just pull it towards you under the exhaust manifold and take it out. There is also the heat shield over the exhaust with three normal bolts. Withdraw starter motor, disconnect main cable and pull off connector. Reverse to install takes 20 mins to install once you work it out.

Take the positive battery lead off first and whatever you do never turn the ignition on until you finish the instal cos these cars tend to flag stuff in the computer that only Holden can clear with their tech 2 instrument.

You need to do most of the work from above but jack the car up and get underneath for one of two bolts on the starter motor. Use stands AND jack. Never get underneath with just stands or just jack!

Thanks for the detailed write up.

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6

Hi Flash, I had the exact same issue with my 05 vz sv6, the problem is the ECU. A guy on Ebay repaired mine, 5 yr warranty for $330. Just remove the ECU, post it to him. I had mine back in a week and a half, problem solved. No more ridiculous fuel warnings and starter works every time.
20191019_225152.jpg
20191019_225152.jpg