Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

You Guys Got A New One.!

qaiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6/Lumina S
Hey Guys, greetings from the Middle East

Have just ' been gifted ' a 2006 Black Lumina S ( Same as the SV6 ). Great car.!

Ive always been a fan of track days, and have been looking for a good car. Well cutting the story short, we've had this car for 3 years, hardly been driven, and I thought it'd be the perfect addition to my garage. So spoke to the father about it, and he decided to ' gift ' it to me :w00t: . Its extremely clean, just needs a good detailing, already has a brand new set of tyres ( Michelen ofcourse :thumbsup: ), and all the belts seem to be in great condition...

Just a few questions

1) The " PWR " button, what exactly does it do.? Dont wanna press it without finding out what it does lol.

2) Do I " have " to take it into the dealer to get the oil + filter changed.? I can do it bymyself, and have read how to reset the onboard compter. I do have experience, have worked on my truck ( 08 Sierra ) myself. So I know my way around cars.

3) Are there any weak points or things that I should keep an eye about, have read about the fuel guage, will keep an eye on that.?

4) And are there any neccessary mods to get the most outta the engine ( Have read about the 2 hole mod and the MAFLess mod, and will be doing those )

And thats about it, unless you guys can think of anything else.

P.S, I would read and study the manual, but we have absoloutely no idea where it is.

Thanks Guys.!!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Welcome mate.

1) The PWR button just alters when the gearbox changes gears. It will hold a gear longer, and will shift down sooner than normal. The idea is it will give you a more responsive feel, the ride will be very slightly less comfortable because there will be more frequent gear changes, but I'm sure you won't mind :)

2) You don't "have" to take it to the dealer to get it serviced. Most people only take their cars to the dealer if a) they don't know how to do it themselves, or b) they have a warranty with the dealer they want to keep. If neither of these apply to you, there's nothing stopping you from doing it yourself.

3) Sorry, no idea.

4) The Alloytec engine being a fairly new design doesn't have a whole lot available for it. On top of what you've already mentioned you might think about an exhaust, after that for serious power you'd probably be looking at a supercharger. These guys are a sponsor on this forum and make a kit for the Alloytec: Raptor Superchargers

qaiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6/Lumina S
Thanks for the quick reply danja.!

I will definately keep the PWR button on now :D

And also, Ill do the oil changes myself, feels better, knowing that Ive worked on the car.

Ive looked into the Superchargers, and they're a bit too much for my plate right now lol. Just starting out. Im looking around locally for the Pacemaker's, there's a store down here that only caters to Holdens. So that's gonna become my new fav store extremely soon :D.

After taking a LONG test drive today, I absoloutely love the way this thing corners, it dosent feel like a 4 door family saloon, feels so light and zippy on its feet.! It blew me away.!

Just 1 last thing, I havent been able to find out much info about break upgrades. Thats pretty much the first thing I wanna get outta the way. Any info on that.?

Thanks again :D.!

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
Thanks for the quick reply danja.!

I will definately keep the PWR button on now :D

And also, Ill do the oil changes myself, feels better, knowing that Ive worked on the car.

Ive looked into the Superchargers, and they're a bit too much for my plate right now lol. Just starting out. Im looking around locally for the Pacemaker's, there's a store down here that only caters to Holdens. So that's gonna become my new fav store extremely soon :D.

After taking a LONG test drive today, I absoloutely love the way this thing corners, it dosent feel like a 4 door family saloon, feels so light and zippy on its feet.! It blew me away.!

Just 1 last thing, I havent been able to find out much info about break upgrades. Thats pretty much the first thing I wanna get outta the way. Any info on that.?

Thanks again :D.!

Yeah supercharger would be something to work up to I think ;)

For a boat on wheels these cars do handle quite well. They handle much better with a good aftermarket suspension setup in them, but you'll loose some of the ride comfort - just depends how much that matters to you. If you don't mind a bumpy ride it's a really good upgrade, makes the car a lot more fun to drive.

PBR do brake upgrade kits for Commodores
PBR Performance

There are other mobs, and there are usually some on eBay. Ask your local Holden shop too, they might be able to help you out?

baracuda

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ SV6
answer to number 3) only weak point i came across is it that the firewall not so rigid and therefore fitting the factory strut brace is a good option as after a while the strut towers will crack from the rest of the bodywork(found this out from a very exellent panelbeater).

qaiz

Reaction score
Members Ride
Commodore SV6/Lumina S
Thanks guys.!

Have looked into the PBR brake kits, and I really like them. They'll be on the first of my ' to do ' list :D.

Also, for the strut, ive been looking at https://www.whiteline.com.au/store/default.asp?part=KSB618. Whiteline does seem to have quite a few handling biased modifications.

Anyone have any experience with them, have done a search, and couldnt really get much info.

Thanks.!

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
wouldn't waste your money on a whiteline one thats gonna cost ya some $$$

most of us have managed to pick the factory holden one up for less than $50

danja

Swerves for gay koalas
Reaction score
Members Ride
CBF 250 and a Levin ZR
wouldn't waste your money on a whiteline one thats gonna cost ya some $$$

most of us have managed to pick the factory holden one up for less than $50

In Whitelines favour they are adjustable, and the look about 100x stronger than the Holden part (I had the Whiteline on VT, Holden on VZ because it's stock).

ashbox

back in black
Reaction score
Members Ride
something black
yeah but once its on it shouldn't need adjusting.