Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

You know your alternator is toast when...

RiffRaffMama

Reaction score
Members Ride
Twin VX II Berlinas - "Vanessa" and "Geraldine"
Thought maybe this would be educational or at least entertaining in the event you ever experience this and wonder what the fck is going on. At the very least it will give you something to read while you wait for someone to turn up with a new alternator. Yes, to some of you the problem would have been easily identifiable 3 minutes in to the whole saga, but I think a larger number of people would be baffled by it like I initially was. If I’m wrong, I’m wrong, wouldn't be a first, won't be the last time. The bold parts are the tl;dr/skimming-posts-for-a diagnosis-of-my-current-problem version.

Driving in to town one night last week I flicked my high beams on and immediately they dimmed a little. Initially thought I’d imagined it but after another few km I began to realise they were very slowly getting dimmer and dimmer.
Then the real fun started.
Random lights began coming on and turning off on my dash cluster, accompanied at times by the related beeps (the airbag light/beeps made my blood run cold. After owning 8 VT/VX I’m all out of working clock springs). My dashboard Christmas tree is in photo #1
I know, at this point half of you are screaming “why are you still driving?” Well, it was 10pm. I live in a very, very small country town, half an hour from the nearest decent sized country town. That half hour is through wall-to-wall forest with zero lighting, patchy phone reception and is riddled with kamikaze roos, drop bears, foxes and swooping owls. I knew enough to guess that if I stopped I probably wasn’t going to start again. I was closer to the next town than home so I put in a prayer to the Commodore gods, spoke very nicely to my car and ploughed on.

I hit the outskirts of town and by now my headlights were like candles. If the candles were inside a box. And unlit. Then everything electrical crapped itself entirely. I was doing around 80, but according to my speedo I was doing 0. No RPM, ice cold engine and plumb out of fuel too apparently. Photo #2 shows everything out and the bugger-all light my headlights are throwing on to the road.
The car started struggling, the accelerator quit functioning properly
and I made a spur-of-the-moment decision to cut through a pitch black industrial area and aim for a 24-hour servo on the other side of it. In complete darkness I turned the final corner, my steering got heavy and I made it as far as half way up the servo driveway before my car officially said “nope”. I was more than a little bit impressed that I’d managed that. Not the next street, not around the corner... the fcking driveway!
A couple of hours later someone came and swapped over my alternator for a used VX exec one (my car is a VX Berlina) and she’s been fine ever since. At least it matches the exec front that was transplanted on after the unfortunate Keep Left sign annihilation incident. God I love this car.

Rightly or wrongly, if you're going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.

Attachments

• christmas tree.jpg
    christmas tree.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Box of candles.jpg
    Box of candles.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 153
Last edited:

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
The battery light coming on should have been your first clue at which point every electrical accessory gets switched off to conserve the battery as much as possible. I also run the largest battery you can physically fit so you get those extra minutes (and cranking amps) for when **** hits the fan.

I really hate that gen2/gen3 Commodores no longer had volts and oil pressure on the dash :(

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
Nice work
It's so good once you get going again after such an event!

Juice3

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX
My car only lasted 20km on a fully charged battery when alternator broke and this was without using any lights etc i replaced it with a used alternator and it's been good for about 5 years now going to replace it with a brand new bosch one because I don't trust it

JAAV

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR wagon, 5 ltr ski boat, VS ute, VT calais.
alt warning light wont come on all the time.. Ive seen a lot fail when one of the stator phases go short and it wont charge or hold the system, idiot light wont come on but it sounds like a dry bearing as the alternator is self destructing. light coming on is usually the reg failing or burnt output terminals