Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
2009 VE SSV M6 on LPG and 2022 Kawasaki Z650L
sell it and get a V8. Waste of money boosting an ecotec. They are a different motor to the supercharged v6
Have you seen the prices of V8’s these days? I know everyone here is famous for just saying “get rid of it and buy a V8”. In this day and age you might as well just say “get rid of it and buy a Ferrari F50”.

Im sure you could build a decent SC ecotec for a shed load less money than buying any V8 Commodore.

losh1971

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Series I SS Ute
You can top swap the Eco and have some reliability still. It's when people don't tune them right or do stupid **** that they have problems. I'd say the OPS mate did the latter.

VYCommodore76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Commy
Have you seen the prices of V8’s these days? I know everyone here is famous for just saying “get rid of it and buy a V8”. In this day and age you might as well just say “get rid of it and buy a Ferrari F50”.

Im sure you could build a decent SC ecotec for a shed load less money than buying any V8 Commodore.
I haven't bought a V8 in nearly 20 years so no idea what they're worth sorry. Still driving the same V8 though, such a great car.

Cptn_Cleetis

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 WH statesman
If the person in question just slapped a SC on a standard NA rebuilt engine than its probably no wonder it grenaded itself. You would need to get the engine built for supercharging. Probably not a cheap proposition but it’s the only way to do it if you want reliability.
Haha thankyou man that's what I thought too, do you know what I should do to get extra oomf? Without paying THOUSANDS if I decided not to boost it?

Cptn_Cleetis

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 WH statesman
sell it and get a V8. Waste of money boosting an ecotec. They are a different motor to the supercharged v6
Yeah was honestly thinking about that but V8s= and me being the situation I'm in probably wouldn't be able to afford it (just yet anyway)

Cptn_Cleetis

Reaction score
Members Ride
1999 WH statesman
What type of boost?
How much boost?
Who is tuning?
Supporting mods?

I would first google the hell out of it. There is alot of info about boosting L36 engines on the interwebs, the yanks have been doing it for years as well

A nicely sized turbo with a little well tuned boost should be ok, for a while, well the engine anyway, the trans and diff may last I run
Thanks man, I will definitely do well more research I just came to this page mainly looking where to start and what I need to do before I start modding my car just for the fact that ik there are many backyard mechanics who think they know **** and end up in a world of hurt after there engine goes bye bye and I would rather not follow in them footsteps

Immortality

Can't live without smoky bacon!
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
HSV VS Senator, VX Calais II L67
User name inspired by a certain Youtuber? If you follow in his footsteps then plenty a engine will be sacrificed at the feet of the gods for speed.

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
I haven't bought a V8 in nearly 20 years so no idea what they're worth sorry. Still driving the same V8 though, such a great car.
You’d be surprised. The cheapest VY V8 on Carsales is $16k, and thats with nearly 350,000kms on the clock!

J_D 2.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
Haha thankyou man that's what I thought too, do you know what I should do to get extra oomf? Without paying THOUSANDS if I decided not to boost it?
Well you will pay thousands to boost it, just less thousands than getting a V8. You’ll need to reduce the compression ratio with either a decompression gasket set or dished pistons to run boost. Not sure if you will need extra fuelling (fuel pump, bigger injectors etc). You’ll also need a retune to suit, oh and the supercharger of course.