Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your Engine oil choice

What engine oil do you use ?

• Total voters

Batca

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vf ssv sportwagon
Last service I took the car to, non dealership, I asked about the oil. They stated Castrol so have stuck with Castrol edge last two changes. All seems good and now use the diesel variety in the wife’s CX5. Both 5W 30

SSV 407

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
Looking to try Gulf Western SYN–X 4000.
I have used Gulf Western Top Dog XDO in my diesel Pajero for years and it is better than the Penrite HPR10 diesel.

tml678

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 HSV30 Senator, 2002 Corolla..
Looking to try Gulf Western SYN–X 4000.
I have used Gulf Western Top Dog XDO in my diesel Pajero for years and it is better than the Penrite HPR10 diesel.

I really like Gulf Western products. I've just put syn-x 5000 (full synth) 10w-40 in the Magna and it's definitely running quieter and smoother. Probably overkill for an old car, but I don't live far from the depot so got it for a really good price over the counter there.

Used syn-x 3000 semi-synth in the (now departed) VS. seemed to do do a really good job in that too.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
In what way?

greenacc

Searching for the billion
Reaction score
Members Ride
VE Berlina
I really like Gulf Western products. I've just put syn-x 5000 (full synth) 10w-40 in the Magna and it's definitely running quieter and smoother. Probably overkill for an old car, but I don't live far from the depot so got it for a really good price over the counter there.

Used syn-x 3000 semi-synth in the (now departed) VS. seemed to do do a really good job in that too.
You can buy Gulf Western over the counter at the factory? Where in Sydney is that?

stick3

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz sedan vs ute gsx1400
i use gulf western syn x 3000 semi syth in the bike the gear changes a are so smooth and the cars the ute gets any 20/50 thats on special at the moment it got castrol gtx in her and penrite is in the vz

Brettly-2008

Reaction score
Members Ride
SS Commodore - Ford Territory ... both camps
Always used Penrite 5-30 full-synth in both my V6 and V8, thought i'd branch into Nulon 5-30 for the last oil change and the minuscule lifter tick i used to have on cold start has completely vanished.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Always used Penrite 5-30 full-synth in both my V6 and V8, thought i'd branch into Nulon 5-30 for the last oil change and the minuscule lifter tick i used to have on cold start has completely vanished.
I have standardised on Nulon 5W/30 some time ago. Stocked up on special deals so I don't have to change for reason given in earlier post.
Used to use Penrite 5/30 GF5 and dealer before that dunno.
I haven't noticed any difference since the changeover but never had lifter tick in the V8. Had massive lifter tick in all my LS1s so I am familiar with the noise.