Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your Engine oil choice

What engine oil do you use ?

• Total voters

SSV 407

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SSV Redline
In what way?
Less start up noise (easy to hear in a cold diesel ) and generally smoother through the rev range.
Sounds like placebo, but I have had the car for 6 years and drive it every day.

Voodoo_SV6

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY12.5 E3 R8 Manual+MY16 VFII SV6+MY11 VE S2 SV6
The E3 Clubby has lived on a diet of Mobil 1 since brand new, and I was able to get it at $49/5 litres so stocked up. I still have 3 or 4 changes worth at home and the car did 3000km last year. Then with the recent work on the engine, I was suggested that Penrite Racing 10 would be a better option (10w/40), so it will change to that. Better oil pressure when hot, but it maybe the change of oil pump, rather than the thicker oil.

The SV6 is my daily sh1tter, so I am not so fussed between switching to whatever mainstream brand is on special from time to time. I stocked up on Nulon 5w/30 synthetic about 12 months ago, so still have about 5 oil changes worth at home. Add the no longer needed Mobil 1 and I have a few years worth of oil without having to think about it in storage.

My mates used to call me the "Sheik of <Home Suburb>" as I always had stock of great oils that I bought cheap.

Tonner Matt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ 1 Tonner LS1 M6
I was suggested that Penrite Racing 10 would be a better option (10w/40), so it will change to that. Better oil pressure when hot, but it maybe the change of oil pump, rather than the thicker oil.

I have been using the Penrite Racing 10w40 in my stock LS1 for the last 3 years and about 5,000km's, and I can 100% confirm that it maintains better oil pressure when hot
I have consistent oil pressure during the dry season when the temperature is in the high teens to mid 20's, and also during the extreme heat of the wet season when the temp is in the high 30's and the humidity is hovering close to 100%
My oil pressure is over 40 psi at idle on the gauge when cold at first start up, and just under 40psi at full operating temp

For what it's worth and to use it as a comparison:
I was previously using Penrite HPR5 5w40, as this was Penrite's recommendation at the time I purchased the vehicle
During the dry season it was fine, but during the wet season the oil pressure at idle when hot used to drop down to 20 psi

Last edited:

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Interesting poll results. It seems that large majority uses Penrite. Might just stick with it and support Aussie company/jobs

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Nylon at half price from today at Supercheap fyi.

Forg

Reaction score
Members Ride
Regal Peackock VF SS-V Redline Wagoon
And AFAIK Nulon is Strayan too?
Anyone know if their brake fluid is also made here? I've had two recommendations, one for a Nulon product (heavy duty towing experience) and one for a Castrol product (track experience) and I'd rather buy the Australian product if possible.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
And AFAIK Nulon is Strayan too?
Anyone know if their brake fluid is also made here? I've had two recommendations, one for a Nulon product (heavy duty towing experience) and one for a Castrol product (track experience) and I'd rather buy the Australian product if possible.
Correct Forg, the other reason I use it, apart from the half price deals at Autobarn/Supercheap.