Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your Engine oil choice

What engine oil do you use ?

• Total voters

Ron Burgundy

Reaction score
Members Ride
VF II SS
Just a quick poll to see what brand of oil people use.

I personally have been using Penrite for years. I used hpr5 in my sv6 and now use Enviro + GF5.

Currently thinking if i should try other brands...

EYY

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman
Castrol and Valvoline as large multinationals have more money at their disposal for R&D. Doesn't mean Penrite/Nulon are inferior products though.

Do a search for group 4 and group 5 oils. The 'group' specifies how refined the base is. It's one of those things, the more you know, the less you know.

blackve76

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS ute 360rwkw N/A, 2016 VF2 SS M6
always been a castrol man dad used the old GTX in the XW falcon never had a engine issue from 202 to ecotec to holden 5L to LS1 L98 and even the VE v6 at 220k is in original timing chains.

Always have a giggle when people love how there oil comes out clean at a change and brag about it, your oil isn't cleaning your engine dumbarse.

tommy_z

Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII Director
Mobil 1 for me. This purely comes down to personal preference. At the end of the day as long as you use a genuine oil filter, change every 7500kms, use fully synthetic, then the engine will run happily. :)
Great thing is that we have plenty of choice - if one goes up in price or is no longer stocked, an alternative is not difficult to source with similar specs.

wetwork65

A wet business
Reaction score
Members Ride
VF SSV Wagon & VF SV6 Wagon
Mobil 1 for me. This purely comes down to personal preference. At the end of the day as long as you use a genuine oil filter, change every 7500kms, use fully synthetic, then the engine will run happily. :)
Great thing is that we have plenty of choice - if one goes up in price or is no longer stocked, an alternative is not difficult to source with similar specs.
Many examples of good quality lubricants available and I stock up on sealed packs when prices are best at the large chain outlets.
But best to not mix oils since there can be interactions between additives due to their individual chemistry (e.g. Sulphates and Phosphates). This is where deposits and corrosion can be encouraged.
I have spent some time in oil anaysis in industry.
Keep to one brand/viscosity as much as possible.
This may sound OCD but it is best practice in mining industry to provide lowest wear rate of rotating and sliding machinery (pistons, gearboxes). When changing between suppliers, all equipment had to be thoroughly flushed with sacrifical oil/grease before changing to new supplier.

keith reed

Reaction score
Members Ride
1983 vh v8 sle 2000 vs v8 ute 2012 ve11 redline
I used Royal Purple for a few years based mainly on a Street Machine article. They claimed an increase of 5 rwkw on their editors car. When I had my previous owned Ve Ute on the dyno combined with a cold air intake whose name escapes me I had an increase of 2 rwkw.
When the dollar devalue against the US dollar the price went up. When the dollar reclaimed the loss the price stayed the same. That was it for me. Now I use Valvoline for no particular reason.

stooge

Reaction score
Members Ride
Turbo Alpaca
Use penrite on everything here petrols, diesels and small engines like mowers, compactors etc.
Never had a problem.