Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

[WA] Your experience with CITY MOTORS Perth? Opinions on 04/06 SV6 and 04 STATESMAN V8

ducatigirl

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN and ducati 98 SS
I'm buying a second hand car been looking at the 05/06 SV6
04 STATESMAN V8. We live 200kms away so catching train up to BUY a car!
They have a 3 year warrantee and that is the biggest attractant of the lot!! Local small car dealer offered 3 months warrantee on an 05 SV6.

I'm a sucker for the luxury interior, dual exhaust, suspension, body kit, leather trim, chrome bits, you know girly bling, I'm also a power lover, crazy bitch racer, wondering if I should even be tempted by a V8.

The WK Statesman V8 has 200k's on the clock, at $11,990 but is immaculate and everything I could ever want. I don't drive much, but when I do it has to be in style. (Also I missed my 20's of having babies instead of hooning - is this what they call a mid life crisis? LOL)

The local 06 SV6 looks good, but not great, stock standard They had $10,990 on it, and now $8.990. It was too expensive. comes with 3 month warranty. Will take it for a test drive at least.

Also looked at the International but not researched what its all about yet.
Should I be avoiding an alloy tech engine?
Anything else to consider?
any other suggestions?
I havn't bought a car in 10 years.

Thanks guys :)

Muke

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 MY08
There's a lot of talk of the early VE v6 alloytech engines having problems with the timing chain stretching. From reports it usually happens around the 100k km mark. I think it was fixed in '07 sometime. And it can be a pretty big (expensive) fix. But if that has been replaced, you should be right (I'd assume that by the time it stretched, they were using the better chains to replace it with). That's the main issue I can think of. '05 of course is VZ, but as it was a carry over engine, I don't know if it's identical to the '06 VE (therefore having the same issue), or if the dodgy chain was an '06 VE revision. I know very little about the stato, but they look like a nice car. 200k km is a bit, but not really if they're longer driven kms and not heaps of little runs and it's been taken care of. My old VN v6 was still going well after 400k km, by 450k it did start to leak a little oil into the water. But I digress. (You may be able to tell my one regret at buying a VE SV6 was selling my lovely VN - but I do like the VE, just don't have the same attachment yet). Then there's the warranty, it's hard to go past 3 yrs. Just check the fine print, it'd really suck if part of the warranty required you to have it serviced at their shop, or only covered a tiny part of the car.

ducatigirl

Reaction score
Members Ride
91 VN and ducati 98 SS
Thanks Muke, thats great info! I hear you on the selling the VN, had mine for 10 years and its still under 150k on the clock, in great nick and not a problem ever. Its going to my 26 year old son, so I'm VERY happy about that, not completely lost. He loves that car!
I didnt know that about the timing chain, so thats awesome to know!
200k's on the WK is scaring me a bit, does have full service log and well maintained oh and the car yard offers capped services too. Im sure the 200k service would otherwise be around $500. thanks for the tip about the fine print in regards to warranty. I will definitely check that out :)

VS 5.0

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SSV Z Series M6
Just check the fine print, it'd really suck if part of the warranty required you to have it serviced at their shop, or only covered a tiny part of the car.

I bought mine from City Motors in '98. It also came with a 3 year / 175,000 km warranty BUT had to be serviced by them. Not sure what their requirements are now but I wouldn't think it would be any different.

Unless you are prepared to do a 400km round trip for each service, then it probably isn't too much of a consideration in your decision making process.

Last edited:

corhijasna

Reaction score
Members Ride
vz ss commodore / WM Caprice V
3 yr extended warranty is not worth the paper it is printed on I am afraid,i have that with my current ss and when there was a problem you still have to pay to get car fixed then they reimburse a certain amount depending on the repair required,also as stated before the car has to be serviced by them every 15k or the warranty is void-sorry to burst the bubble but if I was you I would pay to get the vehicle thoroughly checked out by an independent-just my opinion

Kiddo

You're serious bro?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Mitsubishi Colt
Just buy it. YOLO and such.

Also, you sound hot.