Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your opinion - LS1 or XR6T

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Shounak said:
2.0 litre Sti - 195kw
3.8 litre Ecotec - 152kw
allways KW
try the newtons

Shounak

The Kicking Horse
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Executive S2 + XF Panel Van Project
burnz said:
allways KW
try the newtons

343nM for the Sti
305nM for the Ecotec

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
kill -9 said:
IIf i had the choice of both cars new, and all that was allowed was a tune, i would take the ford.

As for bolt on's, guys running GenT's are still only managing 10's. Same as the ford guys in street trim. Unless your talkign pure race performance ina straight line, then there is no true difference. It is actually cheaper to get the XR6T to run a 10 than it is an LS1.
i like your ride minux
when can i have a turn i've got a full license promise i won't
damage it

VooDoo

Reaction score
Website
www.oz8.org
Members Ride
HSV GTO. 408ci Stroker, LS3 top end.
kill -9 said:
IIf i had the choice of both cars new, and all that was allowed was a tune, i would take the ford.

As for bolt on's, guys running GenT's are still only managing 10's. Same as the ford guys in street trim. Unless your talkign pure race performance ina straight line, then there is no true difference. It is actually cheaper to get the XR6T to run a 10 than it is an LS1.

ROFL, the cars running 10's in the ford camp are FAR from street trim. Slicks and FR's arent used on the street. Nor is the tune they are using, the stripping of the cars to reduce weight etc. Some of these cars have had a LOT of $$ spent in development to get to a 10. You can get a LS1 there for under 10k and have it drive there and back in 100% street trim.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
I personally wouldn't pass either car up as they're both great engines.

Guess I'd take which car looks better.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
i remember when the ls1 guys first started racing at the drags. their aim was to get into the 13 second bracket. it took a few mods to do.

on the other hand, the motorsport chaplain went to the drags in his stocko BF xr6t work car. first meet he did a 13.9 (might have even got 13.8) All he did was pull out the air filter.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
need parts

Last edited:

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
vh-holden said:
i remember when the ls1 guys first started racing at the drags. their aim was to get into the 13 second bracket. it took a few mods to do.

on the other hand, the motorsport chaplain went to the drags in his stocko BF xr6t work car. first meet he did a 13.9 (might have even got 13.8) All he did was pull out the air filter.

Maybe thats because the first LS1s were derated and running very rich tunes. With a good driver the current ones can get into the 13's now. Maybe that guy had a fit XR6T...because they're not overly consistent from factory. I've also seen the dyno printouts of standard XR6T's as much as 40kw down on what they should have. Then again, I've seen a few with more power too.

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Evman said:
Maybe thats because the first LS1s were derated and running very rich tunes. With a good driver the current ones can get into the 13's now. Maybe that guy had a fit XR6T...because they're not overly consistent from factory. I've also seen the dyno printouts of standard XR6T's as much as 40kw down on what they should have. Then again, I've seen a few with more power too.

Dont go by Dyno's as alot of them are inaccurate and unfortunately alot of places dont know what they're doing. The biggest problem with the turbo's is as soon as it's a little warmer the quarter mile time struggle.

As soon as winter hit here in Melbourne the turbo's were in they're element with the F6 running 12.1 stock, doubt that's going to happen on a hot summer night.

But just like the LS1 the XRT engine respond well to mods as they were detuned at Ford due to the BOSS being a POS.

Pretender

Brain function fading .
Reaction score
Members Ride
Pajero LWB Wagon, Power/economy what's that ???
As for the original question, I think I'd take the Ford this week.
I doubted figures quoted for the Fords, some even posted by Minux, sorry, Kill-9 in an old thread but when you go looking for them there is plenty of proof to be seen.
Standard, untouched cars running very low 13s and the occassional high 12s and others with tuning and external mods only still with the original turbo running 11s and occassionally high 10s in street trim.
The mods come in well under $10000.
Reliability? On this forum there are horror stories of the turbo cars from Ford but very little on the problems with Holden's V8s.
Go to just about any other car Forum and there are shocking stories about both.
It maybe wrong in some instances but from all the info I've read on the Fords it appears they can be made to produce big numbers with almost ridiculous ease and at relatively low cost.

I don't sleep much so I do read a lot and no I don't accept info from dedicated vehicle forums as they are too biased.

Ask me next week and I may just choose the Holden.