Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Your opinion - LS1 or XR6T

vztrt

Reaction score
Members Ride
VXII Exec
Pretender said:
As for the original question, I think I'd take the Ford this week.
I doubted figures quoted for the Fords, some even posted by Minux, sorry, Kill-9 in an old thread but when you go looking for them there is plenty of proof to be seen.
Standard, untouched cars running very low 13s and the occassional high 12s and others with tuning and external mods only still with the original turbo running 11s and occassionally high 10s in street trim.
The mods come in well under $10000.
Reliability? On this forum there are horror stories of the turbo cars from Ford but very little on the problems with Holden's V8s.
Go to just about any other car Forum and there are shocking stories about both.
It maybe wrong in some instances but from all the info I've read on the Fords it appears they can be made to produce big numbers with almost ridiculous ease and at relatively low cost.

I don't sleep much so I do read a lot and no I don't accept info from dedicated vehicle forums as they are too biased.

Ask me next week and I may just choose the Holden.

It's a great time to be into performance cars!

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
vztrt said:
It's a great time to be into performance cars!
after building a few i'll take a break but if you've got the money
cubics mater

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Pretender said:
As for the original question, I think I'd take the Ford this week.
I doubted figures quoted for the Fords, some even posted by Minux, sorry, Kill-9 in an old thread but when you go looking for them there is plenty of proof to be seen.
Standard, untouched cars running very low 13s and the occassional high 12s and others with tuning and external mods only still with the original turbo running 11s and occassionally high 10s in street trim.
The mods come in well under $10000.
Reliability? On this forum there are horror stories of the turbo cars from Ford but very little on the problems with Holden's V8s.
Go to just about any other car Forum and there are shocking stories about both.
It maybe wrong in some instances but from all the info I've read on the Fords it appears they can be made to produce big numbers with almost ridiculous ease and at relatively low cost.

I don't sleep much so I do read a lot and no I don't accept info from dedicated vehicle forums as they are too biased.

Ask me next week and I may just choose the Holden.

Yep alot of people scoff when i make comments about the times they do...which id on't understand. I rarely just pull figures out of my ass just for the sake of it. Ford is ona great wicket with their XR6T setup's, it offers soemthing different that performs well. Just hope this sort of setup can continue intot he future with the rising fuel costs :(

Marco-EFIVL

Now driving R34 GT-T taxi
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nissan Skyline, R34 GT-T (RB25DET NEO) sedan
Check out what the CAPA mob are doing in regard to tuning the Ford XR6T. From what I've seen, 500 BHP with rather minor modification.... Bigger intercooler, better exhaust, extractors and some messing about with the ECU/Chip. Thats pretty bloody good imo. I think they are working on a phase V kit atm.... Just google it, or I'll post a link later, but I reckon go XR6T, 4L 6cyl with forced induction had PLEANTY of potential!

Doctor Sodways

Legendary Baby!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Slammed VeeDub Rat and a Brunette...
I love the sound of the gen3 at full throttle with a nice exhaust, and there are a few running around with some nice power figures, but if i could afford an XR6T, id take one, they sound horrible, but as goes for the gen 3, with money behind you, a car can go almost as fast as you want.

Two of my mates have just bought new cars, one a VY SS manual, the other, an XR6T auto, the SS has had an exhaust, CAI and filter done, the XR, nothing, and the XR is quicker, but the Gen 3 coupled to the manual is more fun. Anyone can make a car go fast in a straight line, arond a track, up and down a twisty mountain, now thats another story

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Sorry, but I'm not gonna believe that standard F6's are doin 12's just coz it's a cold night, nor am I going to believe the XR6T does low 13's. There's no way thwey do these stock. With a tune, sure. If they could do these times, they'd be all the magazines would be sayin it. All I've found is the F6's quickest time of just under 14s and the XR6T mid to low 14's. There's no way cold weather drops the times by a second.

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
Sorry, but I'm not gonna believe that standard F6's are doin 12's just coz it's a cold night, nor am I going to believe the XR6T does low 13's. There's no way thwey do these stock. With a tune, sure. If they could do these times, they'd be all the magazines would be sayin it. All I've found is the F6's quickest time of just under 14s and the XR6T mid to low 14's. There's no way cold weather drops the times by a second.

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Evman said:

So don't believe it, i've seen off the floor F6's run 13.2 with the 6 speed auto behind it. Maybe you should head down to the track more often? :)

Evman

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS M6
kill -9 said:
So don't believe it, i've seen off the floor F6's run 13.2 with the 6 speed auto behind it. Maybe you should head down to the track more often? :)

No I wont. How do you know it was standard? I've got some figures here from Wheels magazine. In the back of the mag it's got the fastest times they've tested for each car. The quickest they've got from Holden/HSV is the DTS with 13.3s, and the Typhoon is 14 flat, with the 6spd auto. The best XR6T time is 14.3, also with the auto. What you're saying is that the 90kg heavier falcons are as quick as the DTS, and a nealry a full second quicker than what these guys have done, in several test cars? Sure, the F6 has more torque, but 20Nm isn't gonna make up for 30Kw less and 90kg more. I go to kwinana a fair bit acutally, and I've never seen a stanard Ford/FPV into the 13's. I acutally talked to a guy that spent 5grand on his GT and still couldn't get into the 13's. There is just NO WAY a STANDARD F6 could do a 12s pass, let alone 13.2. I have no troubles with believing it if they were tuned. Maybe you should ask a owner before you come to the conclusion it hasn't had work done to it.

Last edited:

AirStrike

Reaction score
Members Ride
91' VN SS
Evman said:
No I wont. How do you know it was standard? I've got some figures here from Wheels magazine. In the back of the mag it's got the fastest times they've tested for each car. The quickest they've got from Holden/HSV is the DTS with 13.3s, and the Typhoon is 14 flat, with the 6spd auto. The best XR6T time is 14.3, also with the auto. What you're saying is that the 90kg heavier falcons are as quick as the DTS, and a nealry a full second quicker than what these guys have done, in several test cars? Sure, the F6 has more torque, but 20Nm isn't gonna make up for 30Kw less and 90kg more. I go to kwinana a fair bit acutally, and I've never seen a stanard Ford/FPV into the 13's. I acutally talked to a guy that spent 5grand on his GT and still couldn't get into the 13's. There is just NO WAY a STANDARD F6 could do a 12s pass, let alone 13.2. I have no troubles with believing it if they were tuned. Maybe you should ask a owner before you come to the conclusion it hasn't had work done to it.
*SIGH*
I hate people that read wheels/motor and believe that the figures are the be all and end all. My uncle words for ford and is always part of the teams the go along with the jurnos with the press lunches. Those times first of all 9 times outta ten arnt done at a strip they use hi tech g force meters on the street/old airstrips, etc where the surface aint preped. Secondly after they have flogged the guys outta a F6 for 7 hours then do a quarter mile run the times aint gonna be the best.
I have also seen at calder a BF F6 6 speed auto run a 13.1 all they did was rock up, drop the tyre pressure and pull out the air filter and headlight.
AirStrike :air: